Sergio Garcia & The Tumble

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize for the blabber. I had a really hard time trying to right down what I was thinking, obviously.

Basically what I wanted to know was, what happens if you don't fly your right elbow?

For me, my flying right elbow is due to a lack of left arm rotation. If I rotate my left arm I slot perfectly, but it feels really open and I often don't get tumbled early enough coming down.

I have read through this thread and know it's somewhere, but what is the "prefered" grip for a tumble? I have always had a very neutral grip, even Manzella neutral. The last year or so it has got a bit stronger on me because I think it helped me square it up and down arch because I've been underplane.

With the tumble, I've been able to use my right arm for once! But at times it has gone left, so I put my grip back to what I used for 10 years (very neutral) and it seems to have eliminated the at times left shot while tumbling!

I have read through this thread and know it's somewhere, but what is the "prefered" grip for a tumble? I have always had a very neutral grip, even Manzella neutral. The last year or so it has got a bit stronger on me because I think it helped me square it up and down arch because I've been underplane.

With the tumble, I've been able to use my right arm for once! But at times it has gone left, so I put my grip back to what I used for 10 years (very neutral) and it seems to have eliminated the at times left shot while tumbling!

Sounds correct to me

ej20

New
I think the key to a proper tumble is not so much the position at the top of the backswing.It's where you position the club on the transition before stressing the shaft.The majority of good players will have the club pointing at the ball or outside the ball very quickly regardless of where they have the club at the top.In other words they shallow out or reverse tumble early.If you transition steep then you will need to shallow out(reverse tumble) late which can lead to underplane issues depending on how severe the late reverse tumble is.

The posters here that are having trouble doing the tumble are probably transitioning steep like most amateurs.If you try to tumble into impact you will come OTT and hit pulls and slices.

Reverse tumbling early during the transition is an extremely counter intuitive move.It feels like you are opening up the club and the butt end of the club is pointing up and away rather than down towards the ball.But this sets up a non OTT tumble in my opinion.

I think the key to a proper tumble is not so much the position at the top of the backswing.It's where you position the club on the transition before stressing the shaft.The majority of good players will have the club pointing at the ball or outside the ball very quickly regardless of where they have the club at the top.In other words they shallow out or reverse tumble early.If you transition steep then you will need to shallow out(reverse tumble) late which can lead to underplane issues depending on how severe the late reverse tumble is.

The posters here that are having trouble doing the tumble are probably transitioning steep like most amateurs.If you try to tumble into impact you will come OTT and hit pulls and slices.

Reverse tumbling early during the transition is an extremely counter intuitive move.It feels like you are opening up the club and the butt end of the club is pointing up and away rather than down towards the ball.But this sets up a non OTT tumble in my opinion.

I think I feel much of the same thing. I think Kevin said somewhere in this thread to feel like you are putting your hands into your right front pants pocket in the downswing. I sometimes have to feel like the hands go to the rear right pants pocket which is probably for a steep transition.

Last edited:
Are there any mechanical advantages to being laid off? I've been working really hard on an SD backswing which keeps the clubhead outside of the hands so I don't really need to think about tumbling. But my natural instinct is to lay it off a bit. So do you think it's better to ingrain the SD backswing and not worry about tumbling or is it better to go with my natural tendency and work on my tumble?

With my SD swing I've hit the straightest shots of my life, but on the more than occasional swing where I unconsciously lay it off a bit, I'll hit shanks, which psychologically kill a round for me. When I was a kid I used to lay it off and instinctively tumble it to expose the sweetspot, but it's something I would need to work on now.

Thanks

Are there any mechanical advantages to being laid off? I've been working really hard on an SD backswing which keeps the clubhead outside of the hands so I don't really need to think about tumbling. But my natural instinct is to lay it off a bit. So do you think it's better to ingrain the SD backswing and not worry about tumbling or is it better to go with my natural tendency and work on my tumble?

With my SD swing I've hit the straightest shots of my life, but on the more than occasional swing where I unconsciously lay it off a bit, I'll hit shanks, which psychologically kill a round for me. When I was a kid I used to lay it off and instinctively tumble it to expose the sweetspot, but it's something I would need to work on now.

Thanks

Just my first impression would be to stick with what is comfortable. The shanks may come from you not tumbling enough and allowing the hands to go out too much. When I'm necking it, my only swing thought becomes get the hands low and as close to my left hip as I can through impact--for me that becomes the little extra tumble I need.

Laid off IS a potential shank. Just as across the line is a potential toe hit. LO is club outside to the hands to a fault, and ATL is club too inside hands. I think MOST shanks are hit from laid off.

Laid off IS a potential shank. Just as across the line is a potential toe hit. LO is club outside to the hands to a fault, and ATL is club too inside hands. I think MOST shanks are hit from laid off.

I think the shanks come easier from laid off if the body starts turning too early from that 'really open' club position.

Don't ask me how I know.

I can't tumble. Please help...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6HEZLqyjap4?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6HEZLqyjap4?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I can't tumble. Please help...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6HEZLqyjap4?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6HEZLqyjap4?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You can and do

No kidding, Lindsey. W-O-W, wulsy, you have such a great golf swing! Phenomenal vertical hand path and lag. I am green with envy right now. :)

Wow, that was quick! Thanks.

Do I tumble too late? The clubhead seem to come too much from inside, no?

IMO it looks like the way you have the camera angle (off the hands) gives the appearance of an inside path. If the angle was straight on the target line (Ball) then I bet it would look less from the inside. I would not comment on the path via the video, I would comment if you had a Trackman or Flightscope measuring your path. In lieu of that then I would check your average ball flight and if it is desireable then the you do not need to fix the path.

No kidding, Lindsey. W-O-W, wulsy, you have such a great golf swing! Phenomenal vertical hand path and lag. I am green with envy right now. :)

Thanks Lifter.

Just goes to show that even when a swing gets pretty good, golfers are always looking for that little bit more....

IMO it looks like the way you have the camera angle (off the hands) gives the appearance of an inside path. If the angle was straight on the target line (Ball) then I bet it would look less from the inside. I would not comment on the path via the video, I would comment if you had a Trackman or Flightscope measuring your path. In lieu of that then I would check your average ball flight and if it is desireable then the you do not need to fix the path.

Thanks Bolt. Good point: the camera always lies. Trackman always tells the truth. Hey thats a pretty good slogan....

I do get divots which tend to point straight or sometimes right of the start direction. Never left unfortunately. Exept when I aim way left of where I want to hit it. Usually the ball goes left though. I can't seem to get the face open enough....

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Tumble can help an underplane issue but in and of itself does not cure and inside out path.

Your overturned and overleaned upper body and clubface angle have more to do with the inside path IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.