The 'internet junk' swing - with Manzella Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
???

Please explain...

Meaning they sound like a fantastic investment!

One thing I can promise you about any of my posts - they are always delivered with good intentions and/or good humor. I don't quibble and I don't troll. I have a serious aversion to negativity of any kind . ^_^

Folks can—and do—over do things Greg.

What are your TrackMan numbers?

Serious question?

I don't have access to a machine, yet. Though a friend of mine might be able to get me on one. I would suspect I am 6 degrees or so inside out, maybe less. Totally under it from the inside, but that happened 5 years or so ago before I ever heard of TGM, BM, or popular golf swing instruction really. Certainly if the implication is that its a result of trying to "retain" angles and shaft lean that just can't be so.

footwedge

Serious question?

I don't have access to a machine, yet. Though a friend of mine might be able to get me on one. I would suspect I am 6 degrees or so inside out, maybe less. Totally under it from the inside, but that happened 5 years or so ago before I ever heard of TGM, BM, or popular golf swing instruction really. Certainly if the implication is that its a result of trying to "retain" angles and shaft lean that just can't be so.

How do you know? you have never been on Trackman. Don't listen to J.M. and guess by eyeballing still pics etc, try and get on a Trackman and then you can get real help. Didn't Dan put you on one? Your so into the golfswing you owe it to yourself to get real info. Once you get the data someone who knows how to interpret it can help you, there's lot's on this forum that can and would.

How do you know? you have never been on Trackman. Don't listen to J.M. and guess by eyeballing still pics etc, try and get on a Trackman and then you can get real help. Didn't Dan put you on one? Your so into the golfswing you owe it to yourself to get real info. Once you get the data someone who knows how to interpret it can help you, there's lot's on this forum that can and would.

It was an estimate based on some of the ball flights, a guess is the appropriate word.

Dan does not have one, been on flightscope but your only get pieces of info........a friend of mine who is a member here has one.

footwedge

It was an estimate based on some of the ball flights, a guess is the appropriate word.

Dan does not have one, been on flightscope but your only get pieces of info........a friend of mine who is a member here has one.

Nice! Just have to hop aboard then.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The point I was making Greg is this:

"Line Drawers" love swings without any carry—ON VIDEO.

So do "take every swing to low point"/"cross-line"/book literalists—ON VIDEO.

Some of these swings, might be 8-10° inside-out.

Trying to hit the inside-back of the ball on the way down to a down-and-out low point, "looks good on video" to LOTS of teachers.

But inside-out resultant paths of 6° or more, are BIG TROUBLE in real golf.

footwedge

The point I was making Greg is this:

"Line Drawers" love swings without any carry—ON VIDEO.

So do "take every swing to low point"/"cross-line"/book literalists—ON VIDEO.

Some of these swings, might be 8-10° inside-out.

Trying to hit the inside-back of the ball on the way down to a down-and-out low point, "looks good on video" to LOTS of teachers.

But inside-out resultant paths of 6° or more, are BIG TROUBLE in real golf.

Can't you just eyeball that? There's a rumor that some have that gift. I'm just guessing but it's possible....right?

Last edited:
Sure you can...but your just guessing. The point is if you care enough of your swing you'll stop having people or yourself guessing.

Sure you can...but your just guessing. The point is if you care enough of your swing you'll stop having people or yourself guessing.

So are you saying that if you don't have a Trackman, or that you are looking for a instructor that does or does not have one, that you should not take a lesson from that person because they would be guessing how to fix your fualts?

No, but having the trackman tool can make the process smoother and easier with less guessing.

A Trackman only provides the numbers though, certainly does not diagnose the swing fault. I think there may be some delusion out there that because it says that you are swinging right to much that its as simple as saying you need to swing more left.

I listened to a detailed swing analysis by a well known professional that was done for a friend of mine and the jist of it was they were swinging to far to the right which was obvious, but there was little in the way of why it was happening and what should be done to fix it, just to "swing more left". I hope we do not see the next "line drawer" of golf instruction with Trackmans where instruction is based on what the machine says, what the "line" says so to speak.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Of course we won't. Trackman is just a tool, an aid. In the hands of someone that doesn't know what they are doing it is dangerous, just like line drawing.

The point is that trackman is a tool that can help students and teachers alike get better and make better recommendations for a particular swing pattern.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
So are you saying that if you don't have a Trackman, or that you are looking for a instructor that does or does not have one, that you should not take a lesson from that person because they would be guessing how to fix your fualts?

I am saying that EVERYONE IS GUESSING without measuring.

TrackMan is a great measurement device.

Doesn't the ball tell you what you need to know? If I've got big deep divots pointing right and I know about the d-plane then I don't need a trackman, man.

I was on a flightscope recently and I called (more or less) every AoA, path and clubface alignment before looking at the screen.

At some point at some time you should get your numbers whether it's when your hitting it bad but even better when your hitting it good so that you AND your instructor can read and interpret. Then you will both know the reality of all the facets of your pattern. I know as an instructor I am making every effort to become exposed to this technology and when possible getting time on Trackman for myself and my students. I can't imagine a teacher having a chance or means to use this and deciding there are better ways to gain information.

At some point at some time you should get your numbers whether it's when your hitting it bad but even better when your hitting it good so that you AND your instructor can read and interpret. Then you will both know the reality of all the facets of your pattern. I know as an instructor I am making every effort to become exposed to this technology and when possible getting time on Trackman for myself and my students. I can't imagine a teacher having a chance or means to use this and deciding there are better ways to gain information.

Fair comment, hard to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.