The 'internet junk' swing - with Manzella Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really enjoyed this thread - glad I'm not alone!

Summary: golf can't be cracked by zealous application of second hand info from a certain esoteric book.

As ekennedy said, it can't ever really be cracked at all!

But Brians ideas/matrix concept etc help make it bearable and at times, downright enjoyable, and having been all over the Internet in search of free(ish) stuff, I can vouch for The info and ideas here as by far the best.

Last edited:
Fair comment, hard to disagree.

Thanks Wulsy. I'd also say to your comment of tour pros not all having Trackman's, that while that's true I'll bet everyone of them have been on it for some reason or another at some point. The interesting thing is that even now not everyone that operates the machine knows how to decipher the information, let alone the pros themselves, and that includes some top instructors. I can only imagine that to change in the near future. Particularly with guys like Brian able to really perform with Trackman. Time will tell.

lia41985

You can watch the ball flight and have a general sense of what your face and path is but what about angle of attack, dynamic loft, spin loft...?

The better a golfer you are the more those numbers matter and the only way you can get those numbers is with a measuring device like Trackman.

Kevin: I kind of can fix my swing. I hit it good, especially since understanding the significance of the d-plane, and can knock it round in par or better. Where I think TM would help me big time is in the short game (AoA especially).

But if you are implying that TM allows you to fix everything (which you are not;)) then that's where I would disagree.

Good comments from lia and Bolt.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Are you guessing without a legit Measurement Device like TrackMan?

Consider this:

I am pretty good at guessing, and even with a good known swing that I have seen many times, I am right to the extent that it doesn't matter, no more than 50% of the time.

Of course we won't. Trackman is just a tool, an aid. In the hands of someone that doesn't know what they are doing it is dangerous, just like line drawing.

The point is that trackman is a tool that can help students and teachers alike get better and make better recommendations for a particular swing pattern.

I had the same thought after watching your Never Hook Again 2.0 video. A gifted instructor can interpret Trackman data and extrapolate it into swing attributes, targeting those attributes for a specific golfer(s). Great stuff, backed up by solid science, and related in an inspired, practical, easy to understand way for the average golfer.

hp12c

New
I have the flattest left wrist you ever saw. But I didn't start improving again—after years of going backward—until I practiced bending my left wrist through impact.

Hey Brian this really caught my eye, exactly how are you bending the left wrist through impact.

dbl

New
re that video:

Now come on...

Brian has said in Soft Draw and other places about not having the right as fully bent at impact as it was elsewhere in the swing, but it ain't a flip.

Last edited:
re: the video, what would you tell that guy? Flat Left Wrist? Lag? Learn to wait for the hit?

Seriously: would be good for the teachers to weigh in on the video that was posted.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I have the flattest left wrist you ever saw. But I didn't start improving again—after years of going backward—until I practiced bending my left wrist through impact.

Hey Brian this really caught my eye, exactly how are you bending the left wrist through impact.

By using a downswing handpath that allows him to keep the sweetspot on top of the shaft and he can bend his left wrist after impact allowing the clubhead to freewheel all the while keeping the face squarer to the path.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
re: the video, what would you tell that guy? Flat Left Wrist? Lag? Learn to wait for the hit?

Seriously: would be good for the teachers to weigh in on the video that was posted.

Id try to fix his grip, twistaway until he hooked it and then try to keep his left arm across his chest longer as to introduce some "impact body". Then i'd go to the bar.

lol

How about the complete lack of pivot lag/use? I've started to wonder, recently, if pivot lag isn't a requisite for 'proper' clubhead lag. Sure, you can 'fake it'... but it seems like the action of the lower body helps adds weight/inertia to the clubhead.

With a beginner, when would you start trying to get his pivot into the act? Sooner in the process, or at a later time?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
lol

How about the complete lack of pivot lag/use? I've started to wonder, recently, if pivot lag isn't a requisite for 'proper' clubhead lag. Sure, you can 'fake it'... but it seems like the action of the lower body helps adds weight/inertia to the clubhead.

With a beginner, when would you start trying to get his pivot into the act? Sooner in the process, or at a later time?

Face first with that guy. An aggressive or even participating pivot and he'd bang the pole off it pretty bad I would think.

ej20

New
re that video:

Now come on...

Brian has sad in Soft Draw and other places about not having the right as fully bent at impact as it was elsewhere in the swing, but it ain't a flip.

I know Brian doesn't mean bend the left wrist thru impact like that beginner.I have posted before on this matter and I have shown that the clubhead passing the hands just after impact like a lot of tour players do can be mistaken for bending the left wrist.The left wrist should not bend until well past impact however you should not also attempt to prevent the clubhead from passing the hands.This would prevent the "free wheeling" Kevin is talking about.

Trying to keep the hands in front of the clubhead is where a lot of TGM people overdo it.They are not only trying to maintain a flat left wrist.They are trying to prevent the clubhead from passing the hands and it looks goofy.Here is an example.

YouTube - Paul Smith & James Ramsey

rcw

New

5) Hitting 'down' and/or not understanding bounce. At times, I was almost trying to make the face of the iron point 'down'. Of course if you hit down, often you will just hit the ground behind the ball. I also tried to play with the leading edge of the club.

Please elaborate on this one. #5
Explain what you do different in regards to your new understanding of bounce.

How does just attempting to hit down cause you to hit behind it?

Status
Not open for further replies.