The 'internet junk' swing - with Manzella Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

footwedge

I know Brian doesn't mean bend the left wrist thru impact like that beginner.I have posted before on this matter and I have shown that the clubhead passing the hands just after impact like a lot of tour players do can be mistaken for bending the left wrist.The left wrist should not bend until well past impact however you should not also attempt to prevent the clubhead from passing the hands.This would prevent the "free wheeling" Kevin is talking about.

Trying to keep the hands in front of the clubhead is where a lot of TGM people overdo it.They are not only trying to maintain a flat left wrist.They are trying to prevent the clubhead from passing the hands and it looks goofy.Here is an example.

YouTube - Paul Smith & James Ramsey

It's a good thing gone bad!

5) Hitting 'down' and/or not understanding bounce. At times, I was almost trying to make the face of the iron point 'down'. Of course if you hit down, often you will just hit the ground behind the ball. I also tried to play with the leading edge of the club.

Please elaborate on this one. #5
Explain what you do different in regards to your new understanding of bounce.

How does just attempting to hit down cause you to hit behind it?

Right. Basicaly, I have a different mental image.

I thought I needed to deloft the club and that the hands had to lead the clubhead (and that the more the hands led the clubhead, the more 'insurance' I would have). Bent right wrist all the way through impact yeah?

One day, while reconsidering some other things more generally, I took a look at a golf club, and thought for a bit. It became clear to me that the sole of the club was designed to interact with the turf in a way different to what I previously reckoned to be the case i.e. that the sole of the club was in fact meant to slide along the ground. Not bury itself in it.

So....I was not meant to intentionally deloft the club. A relatively small amount of forward lean would allow the club to do its job.

Hallelujah.

Status
Not open for further replies.