The Release w/Brian Manzella & Michael Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way that this could be explained that I could understand this > Like golf for dummies?

With respect, I think Mandrin's illustration is fairly simple..just try to apply force with the hands in the directions indicated.

The interesting thing is the initial force which maintains the relationship between the club shaft and forearm. This is the only force across the shaft ideally. This goes completely against 'increasing the lag', etc. I believe that to increase the lag angle to the maximum would involve the 'jack-knifing' that has been mentioned (bad), and be something of a reverse 'close the gap'.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Is there a way that this could be explained that I could understand this > Like golf for dummies?

Here is my best shot Joe:

From the top of your swing, try to start the arms before the unwind, and feel a little "out-toss" in your wrists. Have your hands go wide to the right as you continue down, and when you start feeling some out-force in the clubhead, start rotating the club head forward around the middle point of the hands in the direction of the right wrist straightening. This will put even more "out-force" energy in the club head. At that point feel like you jump off the ground and pull inward on the grip to strike the ball. Post impact, bend your left wrist back all the way without rotating your left arm much.

Brian,
As you might recall from our lesson last November, I was a pretty inside out, underplaner. If I traced my swing path on the ground it would visually from an overhead perspective look like an egg tilted from SE to NW and somewhat shifted to the left. When I try this new pattern it seems to "level" the oval and shifts it to the right i.e. a little further back in my stance. I think it has helped to get the club going back to the left more and earlier. Does this sound right? I've hit a lot of really straight and long shots doing this.

Last edited:
Maybe Brian or one of the other mods could edit the thread title with page numbers where the main videos are located.

Also, I am pretty sure all the important videos posted by BM and MJ are either on their YouTube pages, or Brian's Vimeo page. May honestly be easier to find the vids there, at this point, given how long this thread is.

Here is my best shot Joe:

From the top of your swing, try to start the arms before the unwind, and feel a little "out-toss" in your wrists. Have your hands go wide to the right as you continue down, and when you start feeling some out-force in the clubhead, start rotating the club head forward around the middle point of the hands in the direction of the right wrist straightening. This will put even more "out-force" energy in the club head. At that point feel like you jump off the ground and pull inward on the grip to strike the ball. Post impact, bend your left wrist back all the way without rotating your left arm much.

Do I need more "out-toss"?
Do I need more width?
Do I need earlier right wrist straightening?
Do I need earlier "pull"
Do I need more right wrist straightening??

If I got more "out-toss" would all the other stuff follow "automatically"?

PS Jump just for fun.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HelpnrrOxjs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Do I need more width?
Do I need earlier "pull"

PS Jump just for fun.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HelpnrrOxjs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That might be the highest Euro vertical leap ever caught on video. :p

Burner

New
Do I need more width?
Do I need earlier "pull"

PS Jump just for fun.

The jump needs a little work. :D

As far as I can tell, here are Brian's best posts in laymen's terms describing how to perform the release.

Post #725: My personal experiment with the new release is going well. #1 thing to watch>>>>>>Don't TUG the left arm in transition.

Post #759: All I do is feel like I get the clubhead and arms started early without tugging, and bend my left wrist through impact as back-on-itself as I can. Definitely a freewheeling thing.

Post #764: Actually, the beginning of the rotation around the coupling point will probably happen sooner than the low point of the coupling point. And, it may FEEL LIKE it happens right away.

Post #857: If you don't turn enough away from the ball, you have NO CHANCE of not tugging. This is about limiting your pivot TO and THROUGH the ball, not in the backswing

Post #1266: From the top of your swing, try to start the arms before the unwind, and feel a little "out-toss" in your wrists. Have your hands go wide to the right as you continue down, and when you start feeling some out-force in the clubhead, start rotating the club head forward around the middle point of the hands in the direction of the right wrist straightening. This will put even more "out-force" energy in the club head. At that point feel like you jump off the ground and pull inward on the grip to strike the ball. Post impact, bend your left wrist back all the way without rotating your left arm much.

Post #725: My personal experiment with the new release is going well. #1 thing to watch>>>>>>Don't TUG the left arm in transition.

Post #857: If you don't turn enough away from the ball, you have NO CHANCE of not tugging. This is about limiting your pivot TO and THROUGH the ball, not in the backswing

What is a tug?

Could someone re-phrase #857 without the 'triple negative'...do not turn + no chance +not tugging = confusion

What is a tug?

Could someone re-phrase #857 without the 'triple negative'...do not turn + no chance +not tugging = confusion

Tug= using your left shoulder and arm to pull the club toward the target at the beginning of the downswing.

Without any negatives: You need to have an adequate pivot on the backswing or you will tug it.

Why is a tug bad? Destroys the sequence, reduces the radius, overly steepens the angle of attack, shifts the path too far to the left, narrows the window of opportunity for a solid strike....among other untasty things.

Last edited:
What is a tug?

Geoff,

I understand it as starting the downswing with the left shoulder pulling/turning left ("tugging" on the left arm). A bigger backswing gives you a bit more time to get the arms/club moving away from the target on the downswing before the shoulders start tugging the left arm toward the target.

Geoff,

I understand it as starting the downswing with the left shoulder pulling/turning left ("tugging" on the left arm). A bigger backswing gives you a bit more time to get the arms/club moving away from the target on the downswing before the shoulders start tugging the left arm toward the target.

Tug= using your left shoulder and arm to pull the club toward the target at the beginning of the downswing.

Without any negatives: You need to have an adequate pivot on the backswing or you will tug it.

Thanks...For me this suggests the following swing thought: After making an adequate pivot, keep your back to the target for as long as is practical (and in so doing, delay the left shoulder pulling/turning left).

Make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.