Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
"Son of a Former Flipper"

20071219094904329.jpg

We should have a 2.0 version then!

We will.

But...I NEVER said that the IDEA is bad for some golfers. It is GREAT for some.

It is Poison for some too, though.

Brian Manzella said:
1. Ball Behavior the same for Angled and Horizontal Hinging.

2. You don't hit it very much on the inside-aft at all.

3. You can't resist impact deceleration a lick.

and several others....

But, my personal fav:

If you swing down the "Alternate Target Line" or "Angled of Approach" or anything like it, you get a BIG HOOK or big PUSH, at best.

And what was the reaction from the audience / home office?

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
#2 and #3 - Should have been quite obvious to any critical thinker who takes an interest in detail..... I have said the inside quad was over done by teachers since i took up the system

How much to the inside quad can someone hit??? Come on, really .... some magical way of steepening the plane angle can accommodate a cross line procedure

That is why so many students have sagged the club head below plane --
The reason Dr zick has been good, and I had the opportunity in last year's summit to talk to him a lot, I even had the opportunity to help him with his swing at the range (he is a super nice guy & very smart)
Mandrin - you and him would have quite a conversation - probably would talk for hours upon hours with your pocket protectors - apple computers and graphs....

So to make it work we all have to do a better job - we have to strive for more - we cannot be satisfied with where we are - success begins with discontent

Regardless of what transpires content and information wise The Golfing Machine is the root of all the best information in golf, many have started with the company branched off started their own stuff or went their separate ways for whatever reason.... Good for them - we focus on moving forward with what will provide golfers with a host of patterns and ideas to help their golf and for our businesses to grow. We are doing it the right way by supporting the roots and even if we disagree with a thing or 2 we try to make it better, Brian has and always pushes us along to attend all TGM sponsored events, I sell all the TGM apparel and products and support the home office. They are all great people........

So amen corner that would be a reaction from New York, I was unable to attend do to Jury Service

I think we need to improve our TGM image amongst the industry..... I sometimes feel like the industry see us as crazed scientific madmen who are giving people splinters with dowels....... part of that problem is people have misinterpreted what the book was for and unfortunately there have definitely been a host of parasites over the past 40 years that have used the book for their personal gain.....

<If you swing down the "Alternate Target Line" or "Angled of Approach" or anything like it, you get a BIG HOOK or big PUSH, at best.>

Not disagreeing with the basic thesis as my earlier posts prove, but a minor amount can work with chip shots.

It would be nice if someone were to make a golf swing manual for golfers... I would love to see a book of methods, components, and specialty shots. I would even take a little bit of geometry and light science (not theoretical ish).

Heck my swing is a mixture of components I borrowed from various teachers/players:
A bit of pre-wreck Hogan, some Dante, a wee bit of Austin, and Tomasello.

Why not an easy to ready book that would allow the golfer to do the above without so much formality.

Last edited:

KOC

New
Eliminate confusion instead of creating it.

At any rate some will say, "well of course you can't learn a golf swing from a BOOK that's why we have teachers!"

And...it's largely true. Arguably TGM was for teachers.

Which one is for students/golfers?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
It would be nice if someone were to make a golf swing manual for golfers... I would love to see a book of methods, components, and specialty shots. I would even take a little bit of geometry and light science (not theoretical ish).

Heck my swing is a mixture of components I borrowed from various teachers/players:
A bit of pre-wreck Hogan, some Dante, a wee bit of Austin, and Tomasello.

Why not an easy to ready book that would allow the golfer to do the above without so much formality.

That's the goal of the MANZELLA MATRIX.

Common sense, backed by 25 years of teaching, some HARD science, and some gumbo for fun.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Santa Claus is coming to town.

I love Santa Claus, but I love my Dad even more.

I found out there was no Santa when I was 7. My Dad passed away when I was 25. I turned 46 two weeks ago.

I think the idea of Santa is great. I think the idea that your Dad is stronger than Superman and wiser than Solomon is great too.

After I found out that there was no Santa, it didn't bother me, in fact, I rejoiced in knowing I would help the kids younger than me believe. After I realized my Dad wasn't perfect, I loved him even more. He was human just like me.

Homer Kelley was not a perfect man, and did not write a perfect book. The book he tried to write would have taken a team of folks.

What I suggest is that everyone look at THE GOLFING MACHINE for what it is, not what it isn't.

Santa Claus IS real—he is an idea, part of the gift giving and charity that make Christmas' non-religious side, a very good one for mankind.

THE GOLFING MACHINE is an idea as well. That golf is part science, and that part should be a known quantity, not some fiction.

If you believe every word in the book is gospel, and you base your playing or teaching on that fact, I offer a sincere suggestion: Keep learning, trust nothing, get better every day.

It is a tough pill to swallow, because, shoot, wouldn't it be nice IF the book was perfect?

But folks, that's life. Your Dad isn't stronger than Superman, and Superman isn't real either.

That doesn't take a THING away from my Dad, who would be 80 years old this Christmas. My Dad always said:

"Boogs, there HAS to be a system...."

He was right—so keep looking, digging, teaching, playing, attending, questioning, writing, publishing, helping, and we'll all get closer every day.

Happy Birthday, Pops.

Brian -

A nice message - best to you and your family for the Holidays.

I think a good thought for all to remember is that learning golf (like living life) is a journey, not a destination. We take one step so that we can take the next one.

Problem with all of us is that we get distracted by too many non relevent "road signs" on the journey (both in golf and life)

Bruce

Brian Manzella

Administrator
This thread, Dr. Zick, etc.

I am pretty sure Aaron Zick never did last year's, or this year's, presentations at the TGM summits with the idea to "disprove" the book.

Last year he showed that adding "pushing" to "pulling" was not only possible, but something you have to do for maximum distance. He also showed—mathematically—where the ideal time to add the push would be.

The three things he came up with this year, that I have already discussed, PLUS one more that was from a question based on something else he discussed that I have NOT yet talked about, are all surprising even to a room full of folks that probably all have different interpretations of those portions of the book.

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
THIS IS A QUOTE WE WERE SENT FROM A "DOUBTING THOMAS"

Brian wrote: "Homer Kelley was not a perfect man, and did not write a perfect book."

Brian,

I would agree Homer was not omniscient even though i do not have evidence for such a claim. and I'm sure that many people would not find this to be a controversial claim.
nonetheless it is not clear anywhere in this entire thread if it is homer that was mistaken or his interpreters. and why.

If Homer was mistaken, can you tell us what was mistaken, and also give us Dr. Zick's reasons for it being mistaken. If his interpreters are wrong what interpretation is it that is wrong.

We can all agree if Dr. Zick has substantive criticisms of claims that Homer Kelley makes in his book this would be big news. But if it is only his interpreters that are mistaken, this would not be very controversial unless everyone has wrongly interpreted the book.

As far as I can see, in this thread we only have assertions that somebody was or is wrong.
thanks brian,

I hope Dr. Zick is not trying to disprove the book. That would be an intellectual endeavor that might take a long time to complete.

But if he did we would need his interpretation of what Homer actually wrote. If it roughly coincided with Homer's words then we would need his reasons.
We should at least be able in principle to understand his argument and not simply believe it on his AUTHORITY.

As far as your discussion of his three pieces of baloney, you ony discussed the inside-aft quadrant of the ball. the other two topics would be interesting yo hear more about but let's stick to this one for now.

Homer refers to the inside-aft quadrant on pages 32, 96 and 104 of the 7th edition. this should help those who want to know precisely what homer said.

Interesting... The Language sounds familiar

Brian Manzella

Administrator
For the "doubters"

I am pretty sure I mentioned the FARCE of trying to RESIST decelaration.

That was pretty important stuff in the book. But it turned out to be BALONEY!

So was the "uncentered" angled hinge effect.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

You see, because I will change my teaching INSTANTLY when I learn new things that turn out to be BETTER or more FACTUAL, I have ZERO stock in proving anyone to be correct.

I am pretty sure we can't say that about you, or whoever you follow.

If you really want the truth in golf teaching, stick around, I travel extensively searching for it, and I research almost every day.

KOC

New
Summit

Brian,
Am new to the forum, but i think it is good to find out some of the things in the book are wrong, that way in the future we will all be come better teachers.
Am very pleased that Joe Danials trys to explore every avenue in order to get to the truth.
In the past some people has stated the book had some untruths, and as the saying goes you are never to old to learn.
Keep up the good work brian and i wish you and your family, plus all the members of the forum a very happy christmass and a happy new year.

Status
Not open for further replies.