TIGER

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp29

New
Why woukd steeper shoulders deliver more compression?

Steep shaft means less accum 3 angle, hence less accum 3 power, hence less rotational/pivot power, hence more reliant on velocity/uncocking/gravity power, whoch means steeper AoA too. Hiw could a steeper AoA lead to more compression? Its like slicing the ball more but downwards vs shallower attack which is like hammering or hitting the ball more head-on.

PP#3 and right shoulder on the same plane, so more mass driving sweetspot into the ball. More #2 left wrist uncocking trumps #3.

1. Because Harmon taught him that.
2. Yes, perfectly steep.
3. Woods created the steep shoulders/shaft by doing what Harmon instructed.
4. Read about the Turned Shoulder Plane in TGM. Better yet, ask Greg McHatton.

Before Harmon on the right. It's about one frame behind.

Comparison_zpsw0uipnhg.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Attention Zach and MP: Put the little yellow book down and see what has been learned in the last 15 years. It's somewhat useful to have a basic understanding of TGM for context because it was the genesis of number of other teaching disciplines, but it is utterly useless as a swing textbook now.

mp29

New
Attention Zach and MP: Put the little yellow book down and see what has been learned in the last 15 years. It's somewhat useful to have a basic understanding of TGM for context because it was the genesis of number of other teaching disciplines, but it is utterly useless as a swing textbook now.

LOL. Says who?

PP#3 and right shoulder on the same plane, so more mass driving sweetspot into the ball. More #2 left wrist uncocking trumps #3.
Pp3 plus right shoulder on plane can happen as well with shallow shoulder turn. So don't see the correlation. Can you expound on this?

More power accum 2 (uncocking of left wrist) than power accum 3 (roll of left wrist) means more compression vs more 3 than 2? Not if you maximize or unzero out accum 3 angle AND use hips to power the rotation/pivot.

If you do this, power accum 2 is less, but you substantially increase compression due to longer/wider accum 3 travel (not more power from left wrist roll but more clubhead momentum; think more racetrack to reach more speed), which can now be powered substantially MORE by power accum 4 (pivot thru left armpit), power accum 2 and possibly power accum 1 (right arm thrust).

You just couldn't use as much 4 and 1 with a steep shaft (small accum 3 travel).

Have it but never really read it much. What I'm saying isn't TGM, just borrowing their terms. Their golf "anatomy" is the best. Not sure about their "physiology" though (I don't know enough to judge it).

mp29

New
MP, if you were talking about the backswing then why did you say this:

I wasn't talking about the BS there, just pointing out he was steep coming down under Harmon. Harmon didn't change what he approved of, just what he didn't like, e.g., arm overrun in the BS. Watched Harmon work on his sand play up close on Mon, Tues at Tour Championship in '96, but I can't give you the exact time of day.

mp29

New
Pp3 plus right shoulder on plane can happen as well with shallow shoulder turn. So don't see the correlation. Can you expound on this?

More power accum 2 (uncocking of left wrist) than power accum 3 (roll of left wrist) means more compression vs more 3 than 2? Not if you maximize or unzero out accum 3 angle AND use hips to power the rotation/pivot.

If you do this, power accum 2 is less, but you substantially increase compression due to longer/wider accum 3 travel (not more power from left wrist roll but more clubhead momentum; think more racetrack to reach more speed), which can now be powered substantially MORE by power accum 4 (pivot thru left armpit), power accum 2 and possibly power accum 1 (right arm thrust).

You just couldn't use as much 4 and 1 with a steep shaft (small accum 3 travel).

With a shallow shoulder plane, the shaft moves on a plane underneath the shoulder plane, not on it.

The Throwout of #3 is not the roll of the left wrist, it's the roll of the entire left flying wedge along with the orthogonal right flying wedge.

I don't know where you get that #3 is that powerful, it's mainly a delivery mechanism for the sweetspot, which gets almost all it's speed from #2 and #4 in a cf swing.

I wasn't talking about the BS there, just pointing out he was steep coming down under Harmon. Harmon didn't change what he approved of, just what he didn't like, e.g., arm overrun in the BS. Watched Harmon work on his sand play up close on Mon, Tues at Tour Championship in '96, but I can't give you the exact time of day.

Now we're talking about arm overrun? MP, trying to keep you on the same line of reasoning is like trying to catch a greased pig with wings.

More power accum 2 (uncocking of left wrist) than power accum 3 (roll of left wrist) means more compression vs more 3 than 2? Not if you maximize or unzero out accum 3 angle AND use hips to power the rotation/pivot

You know what guys, unfortunately, if some poor chopper stumbles on to this debate between you two, it would sound like you are two swing gurus arguing the finer nuances of swing mechanics. But, that is not the case. It's all a bunch of gibberish. You both have this little puzzle in your minds about how swing pieces fit together but none of that is actually happening. Ex., The idea of increasing compression substantially with some mixture of accum 3 vs 2 is fantasy. You can lean the shaft forward 10 more degrees and deform the ball more but who cares--ball deformation is completely incidental to the intended spin loft.

I had to get this on the record so that some unknowing searcher doesn't fall in love with your goofy debate.

Last edited:
You know what guys, unfortunately, if some poor chopper stumbles on to this debate between you two, it would sound like you are two swing gurus arguing the finer nuances of swing mechanics. But, that is not the case. It's all a bunch of gibberish. You both have this little puzzle in your minds about how swing pieces fit together but none of that is actually happening. Ex., The idea of increasing compression substantially with some mixture of accum 3 vs 2 is fantasy. You can lean the shaft forward 10 more degrees and deform the ball more but who cares--ball deformation is completely incidental to the intended spin loft.

I had to get this on the record so that some unknowing searcher doesn't fall in love with your goofy debate.
You're not understanding what I'm saying. We actually agree with each other.

I'm saying there's more potential compression if you have more or longer clubhead travel. This can be tweaked by the individual. Its not genetics or limited physically. Its adjustable, hence can be attained by anyone.

Compression due to a more downward AoA is a myth, it just wirks for lots of people because it moves low point more forward and now matches the ball, so now they can hit the ball harder.

More clubhead travel doesn't mean more power from the roll of left wrist itself, it just means more deliverable power from pivot, uncocking of left wrist and right arm/hand due to the longer clubhead travel. Left wrist roll is just a delivery mechanism as mp29 said, you don't achieve more power from it by having a bigger clubhead travel. In fact the bigger the clubhead travel, it becomes harder to roll that left wrist (which slows down rate of closure btw); so much so that if you source power from the rolling of left wrist itself , you'll end up just slapping the ball. But the delivery of pivot, uncocking and roght arm become more efficient, more possible, more powerful, more accurate IMO.

Last edited:
With a shallow shoulder plane, the shaft moves on a plane underneath the shoulder plane, not on it.

The Throwout of #3 is not the roll of the left wrist, it's the roll of the entire left flying wedge along with the orthogonal right flying wedge.

I don't know where you get that #3 is that powerful, it's mainly a delivery mechanism for the sweetspot, which gets almost all it's speed from #2 and #4 in a cf swing.

Agree with you re roll of left wrist as delivery mechanism. I didn't say power is sourced FROM roll of left wrist. I said [clubhead] "can now be powered more BY pivot, uncocking of left wrist and right arm". Check my post again.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
It isn't discouraged....it's just soon wrong.....

START HERE:

Centrifugal Force DOES NOT LINE ANYTHING UP!!!!! In fact, it retards the lining of the club club for impact.

It isn't discouraged....it's just soon wrong.....

START HERE:

Centrifugal Force DOES NOT LINE ANYTHING UP!!!!! In fact, it retards the lining of the club club for impact.
Cool. I don't know TGM teachings anyway, just like using their terms for brevity in explaining with words.

Agree again with your starter. CF lines the club up only when you stall the pivot.

mp29

New

It's obvious that you are an expert in TGM, maybe a GSED or at least a GSEM or perhaps, even better,
However you became so knowledgeable, I admire a vigilant TGM watchdog like yourself for warning the unknowing searchers.

There are rumors swirling that Tiger and Como have ended their working relationship. Brian can you comment on if that is true?

Status
Not open for further replies.