Dustin%201_zpseth7l9hm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Freddy_zpspw4zxgl9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

snead-impact-dtl-f_zpseiasgnjy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

adam_scott_swing_sequence_6_zpsv3h5wh18.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hey don't punch out the messenger, Tiger said it, not me. :)

But seriously, don't you think steeper shoulders can potentially deliver more compression with a steeper shaft?

But seriously, don't you think steeper shoulders can potentially deliver more compression with a steeper shaft?

You can have steep shoulder turn with a shallow shaft.

Steep shoulder turn=the more vertical the plane is=the more DTL clubhead travels.

Shallow shaft (when left wrist is uncocked)=the shallower the AoA is=the slower the rate of closure is. This evens out the steepening effect of steep shoulders, and contributes more to the more DTL travel of the clubhead.

But hey, someone don't get it so I can't be serious...

Last edited:

I feel like a mosquito in a nudist colony: I don't even know where to begin.

What movement do you mean by "backing up" the shoulders?

He means holding the right shoulder down and back to get the path right of the face.

Its amazing to watch his shoulders and arms after impact. They go slinging up and over and way back around to the left like they've been freed from prison.

I would love to see him hit a long iron with the shaft straight up and down again (with some loft on the face). Watching him high towering 2-irons from 250 back in the day was just awesome.

mp29

New
1. Tiger has always had steep shoulders.
2. The shaft angle there is perfect.
3. Harmon did not create the steep shoulders or the shaft angle.
4. Compression has nothing to do with any of the above.

1. Because Harmon taught him that.
2. Yes, perfectly steep.
3. Woods created the steep shoulders/shaft by doing what Harmon instructed.
4. Read about the Turned Shoulder Plane in TGM. Better yet, ask Greg McHatton.

None of this shoulder stuff would make any sense to an Anatomy major. If you consider either the right or left shoulder the distal end of a clavicle/scapula bone, then all that you can cause the distal end to do is elevate, depress, protract, or retract, or all of the above in a motion called circumduction, and each of these two shoulder bone complexes can be caused to move in these manners independently of the other clavicle/scapula shoulder bone complex.

Or a shoulder -- as a joint capsule -- can facilitate abduction, adduction, flexion, extension, internal rotation, and external rotation of each humerus bone. Each humerus bone can act independently of the other or they can work together as a force couplet.

A steep or a shallow shoulder bone movement, as a bone or as a joint, relative to a golf swing, could only be identified as steep or shallow based on the inclination of your spine as you rotate your torso and/or move your arms around your spine. Its entirely and utterly ambitious to try to simultaneously understand and explain shoulder motions as bone prominences or joint capsules, or both, during a golf swing. Please Stop!

For my own explanations and comprehensions, please consider the shoulder as a joint and not the bony end or prominence of two big bones that come together as the acromium process.

1. Because Harmon taught him that.
2. Yes, perfectly steep.
3. Woods created the steep shoulders/shaft by doing what Harmon instructed.
4. Read about the Turned Shoulder Plane in TGM. Better yet, ask Greg McHatton.
1. Nothing wrong with steep shoulders in itself. Gets the plane more vertical and hence arms, hands and club moving more DTL. What's wrong with that?
2. Steel shaft is the culprit, not the steep shoulders.
3. I think Harmon taught steep shoulders and shallow shaft. Tiger is just stupid not to follow the latter.
4. Compression has got to do with how far and how shallow/low the sweetspot is at Release (after transition).

Why woukd steeper shoulders deliver more compression?

Steep shaft means less accum 3 angle, hence less accum 3 power, hence less rotational/pivot power, hence more reliant on velocity/uncocking/gravity power, whoch means steeper AoA too. Hiw could a steeper AoA lead to more compression? Its like slicing the ball more but downwards vs shallower attack which is like hammering or hitting the ball more head-on.

mp29

New
1. Nothing wrong with steep shoulders in itself. Gets the plane more vertical and hence arms, hands and club moving more DTL. What's wrong with that?
2. Steel shaft is the culprit, not the steep shoulders.
3. I think Harmon taught steep shoulders and shallow shaft. Tiger is just stupid not to follow the latter.
4. Compression has got to do with how far and how shallow/low the sweetspot is at Release (after transition).

I didn't say there was anything wrong with steep shoulders. Harmon taught both Tiger & Scott the elbow plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5kKg4lvLf8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npcdJaYOEKo

Status
Not open for further replies.