Trackman Newsletter 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Is there a link to this, would like to review it again? Not doubting, just want to study it more.

http://www.brianmanzella.com/golfin...osure-what-you-should-do-clubface-p9-pic.html

1st post snippet...

Lets say that the TGM THEORETICAL idea of "horizontal hinge action" produced the straight ball (it can) and the "angled hinge action" produced the half amount of closure in the example above (just about correct if you do some math) then TGM would be EXACTLY BACKWARDS!!!

Meaning more rotation = more fade spin not draw as TGM would have led us to believe.

http://www.brianmanzella.com/golfin...osure-what-you-should-do-clubface-p9-pic.html

1st post snippet...

Lets say that the TGM THEORETICAL idea of "horizontal hinge action" produced the straight ball (it can) and the "angled hinge action" produced the half amount of closure in the example above (just about correct if you do some math) then TGM would be EXACTLY BACKWARDS!!!

Meaning more rotation = more fade spin not draw as TGM would have led us to believe.

Great stuff, thanks. The whole rolling the hands to produce draw spin was so backwards its not funny.

The whole rolling the hands to produce draw spin was so backwards its not funny.

Not to try and enter the argument(s), but from the "rate of closure" debate that was here a while ago, Isn't the "drive/hold" meant to reduce the rolling of the hands which is supposed to reduce hooking?

Not to try and enter the argument(s), but from the "rate of closure" debate that was here a while ago, Isn't the "drive/hold" meant to reduce the rolling of the hands which is supposed to reduce hooking?

I dont see drive holding reducing the rate of closure. I am a drive hold fan because it does not show a breakdown in the left wrist which I view as important. For the record I never agreed with BM'd discussions on out toss and rotation of the coupling point, which to me are a bit at odds with drive holding, just stating so my view is more clear.

Ambition is foolish. You shouldn't even try. :)

I missed this, goes against every principal I live by. Cant reach the top, why try?

Cw, you missed big on this one. Functional is a goal, but how about try to get the best you can and if it ends at functional then thats where it ends?

I missed this, goes against every principal I live by. Cant reach the top, why try?

Cw, you missed big on this one. Functional is a goal, but how about try to get the best you can and if it ends at functional then thats where it ends?

The problem with this logic is that when you're searching for the "keys" to the perfect swing for you on the internet, there is no end. Seems like when an amateur is left to his own devices, most of the swing advice that can be found online is much more likely to cause harm then provide any help. Things don't necessarily get better, just different.

Ambition is foolish. You shouldn't even try. :)

I started competitive golf at age 13 and have at least 5,000 hours under my belt. Probably more.

To play 72 holes in a day again! Not going to happen.

It's called realism. If you truly believe you can develop a tour level game after age 21 with a full time job you are going to be disappointed or live one lonely life trying to get there. People that are 6' shouldn't dream of being a center in the NBA even if it's possible. Only on the Internet do guys jump to the tour before winning their local club championship.

Golf never ends. Functional is more realistic for people that start the game later in life. This game will drive you mad if your benchmarks are out of wack. Always strive to get better, but don't try to run when you can't even walk.

Last edited:
The problem with this logic is that when you're searching for the "keys" to the perfect swing for you on the internet, there is no end. Seems like when an amateur is left to his own devices, most of the swing advice that can be found online is much more likely to cause harm then provide any help. Things don't necessarily get better, just different.

I think thats an apples and oranges discussion, intent versus execution. I wont disagree about the net but the goal is not dependent on the internet.

I dont see drive holding reducing the rate of closure. I am a drive hold fan because it does not show a breakdown in the left wrist which I view as important. For the record I never agreed with BM'd discussions on out toss and rotation of the coupling point, which to me are a bit at odds with drive holding, just stating so my view is more clear.

I was really just asking in general, not trying to put you on the spot. I thought the reduction in the rate of rotation (closure) was the result of the "drive/hold" release which was to stop hooking. From my relatively naive understanding, the two release styles are definitely at odds. They are actually more likely resulting from different forces placed on the club prior to impact.

I was really just asking in general, not trying to put you on the spot. I thought the reduction in the rate of rotation (closure) was the result of the "drive/hold" release which was to stop hooking. From my relatively naive understanding, the two release styles are definitely at odds. They are actually more likely resulting from different forces placed on the club prior to impact.

If you drive hold I think it descreases the chance of the face being closed at impact which I gotta think plays more a part of the spin axis than the rate of closure, its something that if Tman is researching I am sure the resulting amounts of each factor will be quantified,

Burner

New
This is a lesson in itself.

If, 5-6 years ago, I decided to work on developing a FUNCTIONAL swing instead of one that looks "nice" on video, I'd be in the single digits by now. Damon Lucas warned me as much many moons ago...I should have paid more attention.

It's possible to have a smooth as silk looking swing and not break 100 with any regularity.

Alas, we are obsessed with pretty looking spreads of swing sequences, lag, huge divots, and who doesn't want to know how far the Tour Pro's drive went after he tees off?

Trying to swing like our perception of some other guy is the bane of amateur golfers, period.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator

The left wrist by both force and anatomically should be allowed to bend through the ball; if it doesn't you are emparting some kind of negative torque on your wrist and this is a hinderence to both speed and what the club "wants to do." It's an option, but not a good one imo. I got much better at actual golf when i stopped caring about how flat my left was as long as i was creating the proper dynamic loft through the ball.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Trying to hold a flat left wrist is great for a hang back flipping beginner. Hopefully they get a better pivot and use the ground better and do not have to do that anymore. IOW, they get better at golf. The flat left wrist was simply an alignment to control the club face in Tgm speak. The club doesn't want to do that and any hindrance of the club acting like a club decreases accuracy and speed.

IMO, this why people can really struggle when they take Tgm or S&T to the wall. They end up with too much lean and too downward an angle of attack.

Trying to hold a flat left wrist is great for a hang back flipping beginner. Hopefully they get a better pivot and use the ground better and do not have to do that anymore. IOW, they get better at golf. The flat left wrist was simply an alignment to control the club face in Tgm speak. The club doesn't want to do that and any hindrance of the club acting like a club decreases accuracy and speed.

IMO, this why people can really struggle when they take Tgm or S&T to the wall. They end up with too much lean and too downward an angle of attack.

I know I've been beating this to death lately, but learning a more correct handpath in conjunction with when/where/how to put the correct forces on the club along with getting the hips open more and sooner in the downswing have been the best things for my swing in the last few months. Way more consistent contact and ballflight. I tried for years to get the flat left wrist, forward leaning shaft and hit so many shanked, fat, thin, and balloon balls it really got discouraging.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

Greg, because I know I'll get an honest answer, I'll ask. What are you driving, and what are you holding in this release? And what don't you agree about rotation around the coupling point? Have you ever successfully done a drive hold?

Status
Not open for further replies.