Trackman Newsletter 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I just don't agree with this, and I dont believe that Dustin Johnson for example, or David Toms, swings that I am very partial too are not allowing their wrist not to bend through impact by imparting negative torque on the wrist. I believe both have excelent pivots and great body rotation and just rotate through the shot.

Just absolutely wrong.

Dead wrong

Dariusz J.

Dariusz, who are some of the all-time greats who indisputably had big slap-hinge releases?

Vardon, Mehlhorn, Cotton, Picard, Ouimet, Shute just to name a few from my memory. Of course there are some examples of post-secret Hogan using more a slap-hinge than push release, especially in his older days.
From today's greats -- let's name Westwood or Couples.

Enough ?

Cheers

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I just don't agree with this, and I dont believe that Dustin Johnson for example, or David Toms, swings that I am very partial too are not allowing their wrist not to bend through impact by imparting negative torque on the wrist. I believe both have excelent pivots and great body rotation and just rotate through the shot.

As Kevin said, there's a difference between it happening and you trying to make it happen. If you don't do it naturally or somehow learned to do it and are trying to physically hold the left wrist flat you are fighting physics; have fun with that.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Wait. Most people think Luke Donald and Steve Elkington are smooth, pretty and efficient while Bubba and Gainey only survive with their ugly techniques because they have a good sense of timing......

Who thinks this? You've been hanging around Jeffy too much.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

This will always hold your progress back IMO.

Dariusz J.

All watch this vid carefully (not necessarily with audio)

Perfect example of a slap-hinge release bringing great effects. I could have brought Vardon, Mehlhorn, Ouimet, etc. but some could say that it was so long ago that it was not true. LOL.

Cheers

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
You are driving the arms and wrists with your pivot for the most part.

I did not come up with the name "drive-hold" but its become the lexicon recently for a certain type of wrist position during the impact interval, its a poor choice because "hold" is a verb.

IMO I actually rotation about the coupling point, unintentionally becaues my pivot stops (again unintentionally breaks, damn kintetic chain doesnt help me) and then things break down.

I can drive hold release but I have to kind of trick it and never was able to have enough pivot rotation to overcome some mechanical flaws created by the trick.

You do not have rotation around the coupling point. You have the club passing the hands within the same plane.

The rotation around the coupling is not what most think, I know I had it pretty much wrong. It all has to be set up from at least the start of the downswing.

natep

New

Have you ever actually tried to 'just rotate through the shot'?

How did it work out?

As Kevin said, there's a difference between it happening and you trying to make it happen. If you don't do it naturally or somehow learned to do it and are trying to physically hold the left wrist flat you are fighting physics; have fun with that.

Jim,

I agree with this, I worked very hard to try and get it to happen naturally.

See I TRIED to shove the hands forward as stated in TGM and it did not work, why? Because my pivot would stop and when the pivot stops so do the hands (or should I say slow, they still move of course), IMO.

So I believe we are not that far off, I want it to happen naturally.

Last edited:
Hey Dariusz,

Do you see any slap-hinge in this one from Couples? I sure don't!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5wHT7jpuQCM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Who thinks this? You've been hanging around Jeffy too much.

Kevin,

Come on, Butch Harmon and every TV commentator says Bubba is all timing with a "great pair of hands, "otherwise he wouldn't break 80."

Also, what is your opinion of Luke Donald's swing with the driver?

Swing Coach Butch Harmon Doesn

Harmon also observed that Bubba Watson has the best hands of any modern-day player he has seen.

“When you look at his swing on film, you wouldn’t think he could break 80,” Harmon said. “Watch him play and he is a phenomenal player. He does it all with his hands.”

Dariusz J.

Hey Dariusz,

Do you see any slap-hinge in this one from Couples? I sure don't!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5wHT7jpuQCM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's something between all three releases. More push which is fine but more crossover as well which is not so fine -- in my world.
But what's your point ? If one can find a few cases that golfers I mentioned could use something different than pure slap-hinge it means that they did not use it at all ? They used slap-hinge release often and, in some cases, predominantly and they were great ballstrikers. That's the point one should underline.

Cheers

It's something between all three releases. More push which is fine but more crossover as well which is not so fine -- in my world.
But what's your point ? If one can find a few cases that golfers I mentioned could use something different than pure slap-hinge it means that they did not use it at all ? They used slap-hinge release often and, in some cases, predominantly and they were great ballstrikers. That's the point one should underline.

Cheers

Would love to see this swing before he had all his physical issues in a nice slo mo, say when he was 25.

Cheers

If the golfer almost never uses a slap-hinge with the driver or long-irons, that's very noteworthy. Wedges are a totally different story.

Dariusz J.

If the golfer almost never uses a slap-hinge with the driver or long-irons, that's very noteworthy. Wedges are a totally different story.

Why do you post such things ? It's kinda silly, sorry.

Would love to see this swing before he had all his physical issues in a nice slo mo, say when he was 25.

No doubt that aging would affect negatively possibilities of performing pure push release. Does it mean that aged people should not play golf at all because an author of some naive book did not prepare place for certain release procedures ?

Here you both are, BTW. Observe young Couples and his lead wrist flexing just after separation WITH ALL DAMNED CLUBS:

Enough of me in the subject.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.