Trackman Newsletter 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would give that guy a pass. The rest that might have a 1,000 hours at best waiving tennis rackets around without any real force in the racket? Forget it. They have no clue how to play this game under pressure at a high level but man their sure post like they do.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I took the game up at 25, two years after college baseball needing something to be competitive with. I got pretty good really quick and plateaued for about three years then another round of rapid improvement followed by another plateau, then this past summer more rapid improvement due totally to letting go of what it looked like and focused on the ideas of the release and letting go of "the model". I am happier as a player but more importantly, I'm more competitive with better players which was my goal all along.

My two cents...as someone who used to play competitively at a very high level and who often gets frustrated at Internet gurus.

The PGA Tour is made up of the best golfers in the world, playing on some of the toughest, longest courses in the world, in any and all weather. There are no "scrapers" out there anymore. Guys that make fun of Brian Gay for being short off the tee or Luke Donald for being wild have no clue. None. If you think you are amazing and your friends ooh and ahh at your abilities, allow me to remind you of Ivan Lendl, John Smoltz and Jerry Rice. All great athletes with plus handicaps that can't break 80 on a Nationwide Tour course where -24 wins.

When Kevin Shields tells you how it is...listen. But unless you can hit "one shot" in competition as well as Kevin's worst, save it. Your opinion on "the golf swing" means as much as one of my lady 9 holers.

And before someone chimes in "so my opinion doesn't count just because I haven't played on Tour???" The answer is no, it doesn't. Your resume matters, otherwise you are a comb over sitting in your tighty whities tapping on your laptop. Who among you would get in the arena and watch a Tour player, at an event, at game speed (without your Phantom or even a Casio) and make a swing suggestion? None. If it takes 10,000 frames per second to see a "flaw" then it's not getting fixed.

Why? Because if I told you the secret to golf was hitting each shot 1 dimple toward the heel with 1 degree open face, all you could do is disagree...because you can't actually do it.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
This is actually a very interesting statement and, if I may, I will have a question to you, Kev. Since I never played or never will play on that level, I read a lot and heard lots of stories about very good tee-to-green ballstrikers who couldn't putt (starting from Moe and Knudson ending on probably at least one of your golfing friends of your level) and, as a result, they either couldn't succeed or even qualify to the tour. Surely their ballstriking were superior not only to Faxon but to majority of tour players, yet such great putting Faxons stay on tour and not them. I seem to understand now why almost all great ballstrikers hated putting and regarded it is completely unfair to favourize this part of the game in overall scores.
So, is it really true that even the worst ballstriker on tour can be labelled to have a tour-like tee-to-green game ?

Cheers

I don't want to assign a date to it, but as of now....there are no bad ball strikers out there. Technique, equipment and conditioning is such that they couldn't compete. I might guess that maybe the 80s (??) could've had a few guys that you might raise an eyebrow and think "how did he get on Tour with that swing" but not anymore.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
But, and this is the obvious statement of the year, 100 yards and in plus putting, has the last say.

We need to do our short game video. It would be a really good one.

Let me get this straight. Their model for an inefficient swing is not just a 'tour player', but a guy who has led both tours in money earned in the same year.

When are WE going to GET that these clowns don't have the slightest clue. At all. They have a camera. And a few opinions. That is it.

I'm not sure they even understand the concept of the game of golf. They put long drive players on the highest pedestal, not tour players. They attack the swings that don't fit into their theories. Even the swings of the top 25 players in the world do not hold up to their measuring sticks. One day, maybe, they might learn that it's the ball that makes all the moves. It's the ball that makes the score. It's the ball's behavior that defines who the real players are. While they are deconstructing the swings of those who have not only made it to the tour, but have also raised hardware overhead, we should just shake our heads and laugh. They aren't worth the time it takes to try to educate them, they don't really want to learn, and most of their opinions flat out suck anyway. We might as well ignore them, after all they aren't even chasing the same goals as we are. Remember, our dream come true would be to play in a PGA tour event. Their dream come true would be to win a Remax long drive challenge, or hit their 6 iron 200 yards, or something else equally unrelated to being good at golf. Getting good at golf is our goal, not theirs, I recommend we don't waste any more energy trying to help those whose goal is not the same.

ZAP

New
But, and this is the obvious statement of the year, 100 yards and in plus putting, has the last say.

We need to do our short game video. It would be a really good one.

Sign me up. That would be a great way for me to start my spring training for my short game. It is one of my goals for next year to get my short game sharper.

Let me get this straight. Their model for an inefficient swing is not just a 'tour player', but a guy who has led both tours in money earned in the same year.

When are WE going to GET that these clowns don't have the slightest clue. At all. They have a camera. And a few opinions. That is it.

I'm not sure they even understand the concept of the game of golf. They put long drive players on the highest pedestal, not tour players. They attack the swings that don't fit into their theories. Even the swings of the top 25 players in the world do not hold up to their measuring sticks. One day, maybe, they might learn that it's the ball that makes all the moves. It's the ball that makes the score. It's the ball's behavior that defines who the real players are. While they are deconstructing the swings of those who have not only made it to the tour, but have also raised hardware overhead, we should just shake our heads and laugh. They aren't worth the time it takes to try to educate them, they don't really want to learn, and most of their opinions flat out suck anyway. We might as well ignore them, after all they aren't even chasing the same goals as we are. Remember, our dream come true would be to play in a PGA tour event. Their dream come true would be to win a Remax long drive challenge, or hit their 6 iron 200 yards, or something else equally unrelated to being good at golf. Getting good at golf is our goal, not theirs, I recommend we don't waste any more energy trying to help those whose goal is not the same.

But, "they" are the reason for this Trackman Newsletter.....who knows?

You don't hear that many people following such exceptions. Moe Norman was the straightest IMO, but you also need some length in today's game. Kevin raises a good point that even though someone might be 1 or 78th in ONE CATEGORY, these guys are all good and what's the effective difference between being 1 vs. 78th in one category? There are a lot of variables in play.

I think most people that start golf after age 21 should focus on a functional swing rather than a tour standard. It takes years and years and years to reach tour caliber level and no one move makes it for them. When I played in college I found out very quickly that I was never, ever going to make a living playing this game. Just as I don't try to make myself into a center in the NBA at 6'.

Like the Rock (Dwayne Johnson) used to say, "Know Your Role".

Know your place. Accept your inferiority. Find others who are worse than you, point at them and laugh!

But, "they" are the reason for this Trackman Newsletter.....who knows?

Ahhh, just another in a long line of wrong from "they"...

"They" were not the reason for the newsletter. I know this to be 100% factual. Period. End of story (fantasy). Anyone saying or claiming anything else is lying, delusional, or both.

Ahhh, just another in a long line of wrong from "they"...

"They" were not the reason for the newsletter. I know this to be 100% factual. Period. End of story (fantasy). Anyone saying or claiming anything else is lying, delusional, or both.

I'm thinking more along the competitor lines, like FS being more feasible a reason to show/explain the error margins and explain differing ball flights. "They" have no market share. :rolleyes:

Let's just say Kelvin and Jeffy were the reason they came out with this newsletter. Is it anything to be proud of? Does anyone give a rats ass? TM just shot their hard-earned work down and didn't even state who the plaintiff was. It's no different than some random broad thinking she was MJ's Billie Jean. Even if she was.

Status
Not open for further replies.