Trackman Newsletter 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love his impact alignment, nice flat wrist just after impact, then all the bending occurs, which is like, who cares! He has great timing though, spit second earlier and that face would be all over the place.

I just don't agree with this, and I dont believe that Dustin Johnson for example, or David Toms, swings that I am very partial too are not allowing their wrist not to bend through impact by imparting negative torque on the wrist. I believe both have excelent pivots and great body rotation and just rotate through the shot.

Huh? "not allowing their wrist not to bend". I may be wrong but doesn't the double negative mean that you are saying that they are allowing their wrists to bend by imparting negative torque?

Huh? "not allowing their wrist not to bend". I may be wrong but doesn't the double negative mean that you are saying that they are allowing their wrists to bend by imparting negative torque?

I think you and others new what I mean, thanks for the grammer lesson though, you are techinically correct.

They are NOT intentionally holding their wrist in a flat position into impact.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
A teaching acquaintance of mine played some college golf with Couples, says he was just as fluid and still smoked it by everyone back in the day with 1 irons and visually had the same type of swing he does now. he's an ultimate feel player.

A teaching acquaintance of mine played some college golf with Couples, says he was just as fluid and still smoked it by everyone back in the day with 1 irons and visually had the same type of swing he does now. he's an ultimate feel player.

I wonder how much effort he is actually putting into his swing even though he looks so smooth and effortless.

Kevin,

What is your opinion of Luke Donald's swing with the driver? Smooth, pretty and efficient?

Smoothness can be measured. Efficiently can be measured with kinematic sequence. However, pretty is still in the eye of the beholder...

1355499628_mila-kunis-640.jpg

hp12c

New
Why do you post such things ? It's kinda silly, sorry.

No doubt that aging would affect negatively possibilities of performing pure push release. Does it mean that aged people should not play golf at all because an author of some naive book did not prepare place for certain release procedures ?

Here you both are, BTW. Observe young Couples and his lead wrist flexing just after separation WITH ALL DAMNED CLUBS:

Enough of me in the subject.

Cheers

Hey D I just added this vid to my favorites, thank you

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
People need to get a grip. There are certainly ball strikers that are better than others out there. So the old "they all can hit it out there, it's only putting" saying is only partially true. But, these are the best players in the world. Even Brad Faxon, who was generally regarded as one of the least capable ball strikers out there, could still hit it on a tour like level. I don't mind breaking someone's swing down, but geez, talking as if its inferior is becoming insane.

coach

New
Thousands of ways to swing.....learning very early is best......bottom line learn to play golf and get the fricken ball in the hole ASAP

Dariusz J.

There are certainly ball strikers that are better than others out there. So the old "they all can hit it out there, it's only putting" saying is only partially true. But, these are the best players in the world. Even Brad Faxon, who was generally regarded as one of the least capable ball strikers out there, could still hit it on a tour like level.

This is actually a very interesting statement and, if I may, I will have a question to you, Kev. Since I never played or never will play on that level, I read a lot and heard lots of stories about very good tee-to-green ballstrikers who couldn't putt (starting from Moe and Knudson ending on probably at least one of your golfing friends of your level) and, as a result, they either couldn't succeed or even qualify to the tour. Surely their ballstriking were superior not only to Faxon but to majority of tour players, yet such great putting Faxons stay on tour and not them. I seem to understand now why almost all great ballstrikers hated putting and regarded it is completely unfair to favourize this part of the game in overall scores.
So, is it really true that even the worst ballstriker on tour can be labelled to have a tour-like tee-to-green game ?

Cheers

This is actually a very interesting statement and, if I may, I will have a question to you, Kev. Since I never played or never will play on that level, I read a lot and heard lots of stories about very good tee-to-green ballstrikers who couldn't putt (starting from Moe and Knudson ending on probably at least one of your golfing friends of your level) and, as a result, they either couldn't succeed or even qualify to the tour. Surely their ballstriking were superior not only to Faxon but to majority of tour players, yet such great putting Faxons stay on tour and not them. I seem to understand now why almost all great ballstrikers hated putting and regarded it is completely unfair to favourize this part of the game in overall scores.
So, is it really true that even the worst ballstriker on tour can be labelled to have a tour-like tee-to-green game ?

Cheers

I like this discussion, D, and would like to add my 2 cents before Kevin gives his answer. Going off the fact that everyone, no matter how we perceive their skill in a certain area, earns their way onto the PGA Tour. The "tour" is only made up of it's players, so by definition I'd say they all have tour like games. Within that group there are obviously the best and worst of every category, but they are all at tour level. If a player doesn't continually maintain or improve enough of his game, they will not be at tour level for very long. It's the ultimate professional sport in this regard. As long as they make everyone hit from the same tees, I'd say they all have a tour like tee-to-green game if they carry one of these...

77kf.jpg

Cheers

You don't hear that many people following such exceptions. Moe Norman was the straightest IMO, but you also need some length in today's game. Kevin raises a good point that even though someone might be 1 or 78th in ONE CATEGORY, these guys are all good and what's the effective difference between being 1 vs. 78th in one category? There are a lot of variables in play.

I think most people that start golf after age 21 should focus on a functional swing rather than a tour standard. It takes years and years and years to reach tour caliber level and no one move makes it for them. When I played in college I found out very quickly that I was never, ever going to make a living playing this game. Just as I don't try to make myself into a center in the NBA at 6'.

Like the Rock (Dwayne Johnson) used to say, "Know Your Role".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.