What Kind of Release is this? & Can an effective swing include no deceleration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually there's no way it's Kaymer (but I still get kudos if it is right!).

It's got to be someone like Zach with a lot of bend in his back into the follow through.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Soba0sGGML8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kind of depends on what you mean by "turning the pelvis to pull the torso". Of course the pelvis has to move, but the idea of trying to pull the shoulders round to impact with the hips is nonsense. IMO.

As Brian says it's a frame of reference issue. I'm definitely not saying "pull the shoulders round to impact with the hips". I'm saying use the pelvis turning energy as a "springboard" to get the torso moving faster.

Stadler has gotten rather large, hasn't he?

One thing's for sure, it's not CS.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xa5fAsRJ62c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Don'tya just love that wee foot move in the through swing? It must be difficult, even dangerous, to try to stabilise 40 stone. Mind you, I'm sure he'd whup my ass in a money game. ;)

happy gilmore field goal thanksgiving kick

Not RG.

There is a REASON, a forces a torques reason, that there is an absolute reason for the deceleration.

In other words, you are TRYING to make something go backward, after it had been going forward, and well, a decel will help that a bunch.

Where somethings are still moving, but are moving slower, some things ARE moving backward.

Why doesn't it "look" this way?

Frame of reference.

I wonder what type of body part deceleration/acceleration/backward stuff Happy Gilmore or Sebastian Janikowski would show prior to impact with a ball?

I forgot to say Brian that I think you are really getting this stuff right. Golfers can't decel as dramatically as Happy or Sebastian because it just doesn't seem to work. Perhaps such a big run up prior to decel corrupts extreme precision required for golf. Nevertheless golfers who instinctively know how to wallop a golf ball with their arms and hands have a subtle run up/decel/slight back-up/snappy accel of arms/hands/club thru ball type motion. I'm pretty sure the "muscular" action of the right elbow/forearm/hand has a lot to do with it for many of us, but I rarely promote it to other golf teaching pros. But I do promote it to most of my students. I once worked for Jacobs Golf schools and I absolutely love Jacobs, Armour, Norwood, Vardon, Tomasello, Dunn, Melhorn, and Homer Kelley's Hitting Machine with or without all the angled hinging stuff. Good luck. I think you have a timeless swing to teach that works well anywhere and at any age. Best wishes for continued success!

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Another Major Winner.....

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/54117552" width="600" height="339" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

lia41985

Does it matter?

The last three guys are all MAJOR winners. All with the same hips and torso decelerations.

Basic, basic stuff.
Still curious as to why the torso velocity slows, then ramps back up, and when it ramps back up does so after the lead arm velocity rate has slowed.
DJ's torso numbers:

Hello Mike.

That is odd. My first thought it that it is not real. There can be some funky movement of the shoulders and torso when the Matt system tracks a swing. Also, when the movement data is differentiated to get velocity, this can make any noise in the data worse. The reality of things would be that the angular velocity would rise and drop smoothly. The angular velocity would likely peak mid to late downswing.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy your thanksgiving!

Ian
I know Mike obtained this response from Ian re: Dustin Johnson but this pattern can be seen in all the players posted. Nate has posted an interesting hypothesis.
My intuitive guess for the torso speed increasing after impact would be that when the right arm straightens and the club gets fully released, it quickly jerks the body around after it had slowed down some prior to impact.
Ian's response also seems rather hypothetical.

By the way, judging from Ian's response, the measurements we see on the screen are velocity numbers, not acceleration, is that right Brian?

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Another Tour player who has won more than 10 million:

KSS.png

lia41985

I'm afraid we're going into data dump territory if we continue to get numbers without context.

The newest graph uses force as the y-axis. The previous MATT data seems to be measuring velocity with the units degrees per second. Are these two assertions correct?

natep

New
No, it's velocity, probably the same as the other (degrees per second).

[edit] But maybe not, the values appear to be somewhat greater than those from the MATT.

Actually much greater, more than double, it seems to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.