D-plane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Brian. Can you use the D-plane concept to figure out exactly how much curvature a particular shot will have before you hit it? Or is it a trial and error thing?

Also because of what you said about aiming and forward lean, does that mean that the more forward lean a player has at impact, the more left they have to aim to compensate?

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Hey, Brian. Can you use the D-plane concept to figure out exactly how much curvature a particular shot will have before you hit it?

Yes.

Isn't that the nuts?

Or is it a trial and error thing?

Only when you can play for a couple of hours on TRACKMAN to really figure it out.

Also because of what you said about aiming and forward lean, does that mean that the more forward lean a player has at impact, the more left they have to aim to compensate?

Absolutely, positively, 100% of the time.

Could you explain the curvature thing (how to tell how much the ball is going to curve on a shot)? I mean, I understand it well enough to analyze a shot I just hit. But I can't figure out how to use it to shape a particular shot a certain amount. What am I missing, man??

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Could you explain the curvature thing (how to tell how much the ball is going to curve on a shot)? I mean, I understand it well enough to analyze a shot I just hit. But I can't figure out how to use it to shape a particular shot a certain amount. What am I missing, man??

Name the shot....

I'll name the DPlane.

Cool. Thanks.

I want to hit a 5 iron with a 10 yard cut, starting it at the center of the green, to a pin 10 yards right.

Hands are ahead a good bit (strong grip). Not consciously hitting down on it very much. Don't know if I answered that very well...

rcw

New
So whats the best way to hit a 5 yard draw with a 7 iron that starts slightly right of target? Slightly down without a ton of lean.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ok...

Lets say you have 5° of forward lean (Tour average is 3° on a iron shot).

5 iron with a 10 yard cut, starting it at the center of the green, to a pin 10 yards to the right.

You'd have to SWING (not necessarily aim) ~15 yards to the left, and have a square %
5° open clubface to your swing line (plane line) just to hit it straight at the target.

So to hit a 5 iron with a 10 yard cut, starting it at the center of the green, to a pin 10 yards to the right, you'd have to have the face pointing about 15 yards to the left of the target, and make a swing (not necessarily aim) about 30 yards to the left.

(I think I have the math about right...)

5 iron with a 10 yard cut, starting it at the center of the green, to a pin 10 yards to the right.

You'd have to SWING (not necessarily aim) ~15 yards to the left, and have a square %
5° open clubface to your swing line (plane line) just to hit it straight at the target.

So to hit a 5 iron with a 10 yard cut, starting it at the center of the green, to a pin 10 yards to the right, you'd have to have the face pointing about 15 yards to the left of the target, and make a swing (not necessarily aim) about 30 yards to the left.

With the extra lean accounting for the need to aim more left...

Ok, thanks Brian. Gotta go home, but I'll chew on that on the drive

I'm confused

(I think I have the math about right...)

It's late and perhaps I am misreading this, but how does the first example differ from the second?

In the first example, if you swing 15 yards left of the target, and the ball goes straight at the target, then that means that the true path and the true clubface are both 15 yards to the right of the swing line (at the target). Correct?

So, in the second example, if you swing 30 yards left of the target with the same lean, wouldn't the true path once again be 15 yards to the right of the swing line (15 yards left of the target)? And the clubface is also pointing 15 yards left of the target. If the true path and the true clubface are both pointing 15 yards left of target, why isn't it a straight ballflight directly at that spot?

What am I missing?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
clubface "openness" is always RELATIVE to the path it swung on. So even if the face didn't move and it's still 5* open, if you moved the path further left it opens the face even more and the ball fades.

clubface "openness" is always RELATIVE to the path it swung on. So even if the face didn't move and it's still 5* open, if you moved the path further left it opens the face even more and the ball fades.

Yeah, I get that part. But the way I'm reading it, both the path and the face moved left (15 yards) in the second example, so the face was still square relative to the path.

If your opinion if shared by most it is just another very clear signal that the decline of an empire is definitely on its way. Matters of importance are inspired by the mind not by muscles. :D

It's not an "if". It's a fact jack.

You do understand my point that we, the minority of the minority need you. So keep flexing your brain muscles, my friend...!

and don't worry, the golf empire will endure!

I love this stuff

Brian:
Please show us how:
"Use your Pivot to snap your Kinetic Chain, and to assist your arms, hands and club with creating the proper "D" Plane for the selected shot."

Is this the key to shotmaking?
How can this be practiced?
Will this cure all us underplaners?
Will my on course performance not suck anymore?

I'll buy you a T-bone next time you're in NY with MJ.

Regards,
Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.