D-plane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the clarification Brian. Two other questions:

1. What is the specific relationship between the amount of lean and its effect on true path (is it as simple as 1 degree of lean = 1 degree more inside-out)?

2. On average, how much does the ball curve away from the true path? The example at the moment is a path that is 15 yards left and a face that is 7.5 yards left to produce a 10 yard cut. If I have this right, that means the shot started at a 67% cut angle and curved away from the path 2x the distance the cut angle is from the path. Is this usually the case? I know the cut angle will vary slightly, but does the percent of curvature vary as well?

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
the fact that both of you are equating "lag" or "trigger delay" to forward lean tells me a lot. You don't have to delag someone to make them have less forward lean.

the fact that both of you are equating "lag" or "trigger delay" to forward lean tells me a lot. You don't have to delag someone to make them have less forward lean.

I assume you are saying that you could keep your lag but decrease your forward lean by starting your release earlier(more of a sweep release)? How is that different from delagging ala leadbetter?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
the fact that you are defensive tells me a lot

I'm not being defensive, i'm simply responding to people trying to stir up the pot by bringing up old posts.

That still doesn't deny the fact that you can have a lot of delay and LESS foward lean than say Charles Howell.

Here's 1 option...move the ball position up; there are more.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Thanks for the clarification Brian. Two other questions:

1. What is the specific relationship between the amount of lean and its effect on true path (is it as simple as 1 degree of lean = 1 degree more inside-out)?

At 45° (close to delivered driver lie angle), it is.

At 90° (a croquet mallet), it would be zero.

A five-iron, about 61°, Somewhere in the middle.

Of course, forward lean doesn't always work out quite this way, but this is a good place for a simplified starting point.

2. On average, how much does the ball curve away from the true path? The example at the moment is a path that is 15 yards left and a face that is 7.5 yards left to produce a 10 yard cut. If I have this right, that means the shot started at a 67% cut angle and curved away from the path 2x the distance the cut angle is from the path. Is this usually the case? I know the cut angle will vary slightly, but does the percent of curvature vary as well?

TRACKMAN has all the numbers, and when I get them, or test on TRACKMAN myself, I will post 'em up.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I assume you are saying that you could keep your lag but decrease your forward lean by starting your release earlier(more of a sweep release)? How is that different from delagging ala leadbetter?

Accumulator Lag, might make it easier to have too much forward lean, but you could have a sweep release and LOTS of lean, or a snap release and NONE.

Get it?

One is WHERE the release starts, and the other is HOW RELEASED it is at impact.

Cool

At 45° (close to delivered driver lie angle), it is.

At 90° (a croquet mallet), it would be zero.

A five-iron, about 61°, Somewhere in the middle.

Of course, forward lean doesn't always work out quite this way, but this is a good place for a simplified starting point.

TRACKMAN has all the numbers, and when I get them, or test on TRACKMAN myself, I will post 'em up.

Sounds good. It'll be interesting to see how the data turns out.

Thanks.

Accumulator Lag, might make it easier to have too much forward lean, but you could have a sweep release and LOTS of lean, or a snap release and NONE.

Get it?

One is WHERE the release starts, and the other is HOW RELEASED it is at impact.

can u post a picture or video of someone with a snap release and minimal forward lean?

rcw

New
future
that does not really sound like someone who wants stay on point. The thread covers the D-plane. Sounds like you just want to argue.
If you are that interested then go find it yourself.

But here ya go anyway.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_6M_xZvq0[/media]

Snap release, but he gets it in line without a lot of lean.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
future
that does not really sound like someone who wants stay on point. The thread covers the D-plane. Sounds like you just want to argue.

But here ya go anyway.

Granted this is a good example but it is with a long club that tends to not have a lot of forward anyway so it isn't the best.

I don't have it on this laptop but i am pretty sure the amount of forward lean that Mike Finney has on some of the videos Brian posted of him with an iron didn't have a ton, but i could be wrong. I'm going from memory.

Ryan Smither

Super Moderator
And I raise you this one:

You want to aim at the target?

You better learn to have the MINIMUM AMOUNT Of forward lean, or you will pull your hair out trying to hit it straight.

My hair is long gone.

But I will say that this single piece to the puzzle made me 5 shots better overnight.

rcw

New
I agree I knew that was the prob. with the clip. Just one I thought of quickly. That was not really even the point of my post.

future

But here ya go anyway.

i thought i wrote iron in my post but it appears i didnt. an iron swing would make the point better. and forward lean does have everything to do with the D plane if you had been paying attention rather than looking for opportunities to reprimand me.

Status
Not open for further replies.