Tiger Woods Progress with Sean Foley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does tightening the arc "left" through impact aid in the parametric acceleration?

In other words, the approach starts with a tumble action, with the hands going in and the clubhead going out. The hands continue inward and around to the left.

So the entire release occurs on a cone-shaped, or "curved plane" rather than a flat plane.

Will this create P.A.?

greenfree

Banned
How many ever "own it"? Where did he get his swing from , that he used in 2000? and i believe as he was changing his swing then, there were lot's of people questioning the change and thinking it was a bad idea. Anything is better than what Haney did. I say he waited too long to change and if it was a player of less talent they would have been ruined in a year, it took Haney 6 yrs. only because of Tiger's talent and yes Tiger has to take some of the blame.

Last edited:
Any bets? I'll take Tiger in 2011 for Player of the Year. I've never seen him swing any better than he was on the last nine in Australia. Sean Foley's model is superior to the previous ones. That was seriously firing on all cylinders.

SJO

New
Seriously, how can these people continually slate Haney when Tiger played awesome working with him? I have no allegiance to Haney and don't really like what he did with Tiger's swing but he won the Fed Ex Cup last year, then had one of the most public humiliations in golf outside the ropes of all time. Then he played terribly this year(for him) and didn't win a tournament for the first time in his career. To me that's a little too coincidental. It seems unfair to blame Haney when Tiger's played awesome for 90% of their time together.

greenfree

Banned
Seriously, how can these people continually slate Haney when Tiger played awesome working with him? I have no allegiance to Haney and don't really like what he did with Tiger's swing but he won the Fed Ex Cup last year, then had one of the most public humiliations in golf outside the ropes of all time. Then he played terribly this year(for him) and didn't win a tournament for the first time in his career. To me that's a little too coincidental. It seems unfair to blame Haney when Tiger's played awesome for 90% of their time together.

What? You don't like that Haney did with Tiger's swing but it has nothing to do with Tiger playing bad? So what Haney did had no ill effect's on Tiger's swing/game?

Last edited:

SJO

New
What? You don't like that Haney did with Tiger's swing but it has nothing to do with Tiger playing bad? So what Haney did had no ill effect's on Tiger's swing/game?

That is my point. He didn't play bad! He played awesome. He played badly THIS year which followed hot on the footsteps of an embarrassing public humiliation that might have changed him forever.

Did you guys not see him winning 6 tournaments a year including majors until this year?

I'm not making a comment on Haney, I'm saying that Tiger has played amazing golf until this year that everyone seems to be forgetting.

SJO

New
SJO, Tiger Woods won in spite of Hank Haney, not because of him. Similarly, the 1985 Chicago Bears won in spite of Mike Ditka.

Isn't that just your opinion? It is a fact that he won a lot of tournaments and majors while working with him. That's all I'm saying, it's frustrating hearing everyone talk about how bad his 'old' swing was when he won more in that time than most will in their whole career.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Geez.........

Any bets? I'll take Tiger in 2011 for Player of the Year. I've never seen him swing any better than he was on the last nine in Australia. Sean Foley's model is superior to the previous ones. That was seriously firing on all cylinders.

If you are teaching someone a "method" and Butch and Hank definitely did, you are only going to swing as good as the information will allow.

Ask anyone who tried to hit the inside-aft quadrant, bang down on the ball, and try to hit it sorta straight.

YIKES! :eek:

Sean's stuff is better than Butch's and Hank's, and I feel like Sean is still someone who will learn new stuff and adapt.

Tiger's gain.

Golf's gain.

Isn't that just your opinion? It is a fact that he won a lot of tournaments and majors while working with him. That's all I'm saying, it's frustrating hearing everyone talk about how bad his 'old' swing was when he won more in that time than most will in their whole career.

Junk stats.

When you compare the BH-era to the HH-era, it is junk statistically, because Tiger was in his prime when Hank started with him, and using Butch's stuff at first.

Butch was the clear winner of that teach off.

i agree with many that it is not prudent to simplify what goes into winning a tournament. clearly, as we know now, to what extent i am not sure, that tiger has been going through a lot in the past until part of it was revealed, or perhaps just the tiny tip of the iceberg.

he was living on the edge. perhaps it takes this living on the edge mentality to dominate a golf tournament.

but if one lives on the edge and pushes to the extreme, as he did, it can also burn a person inside out.

i believe the consistency of a swing, the effectiveness of a swing, how a type of swing holds up during a pga event, may not be easily measured by angles and lines. the best swing plane can still be sabotaged by a little uncertainty in the clubface during impact. how do we account for that? because we are human and hindsight is 20/20, well at least sometimes.

it is easier to attribute a good swing after someone wins a tournament; but it is a different story, with much uncertainty, to single out tech swing issues as the reason for not winning a tournament. for that matter, i think it is also not that clear cut to blame or credit a coach. they are all parts of the big picture and the picture is fluid. how each factor plays a role, how big a role, at any given time, is not easy to pin it down. also, a person at different stages of his life may need different types of guidance. it is tempting for us to look back to move the blocks around to make sense of it all, but that leaves out many things we do not and did not know, for the convenience of an academic argument.

tiger took a big detour. lets wait and provide more insights after he retires:D

ps. i clearly remembered that when he and his x were dating in public, people jumped out to say he was done because he would lose focus. then he had couple great years after that. who knows. right?

pss. judging by tiger's way of handling many women at the same time, i have the strange feeling that he has a very high mental capacity to handle any coaches coming his way, that he is not that easily influenced, that eventually he will do it his way, after a little pick and choose provided by his coaches. i don't think he totally trusts anyone, other than his father.

Last edited:
Tiger's game will be as good as his putting. His putting looked uncomfortable in the first couple rounds, especially inside of ten feet. His record is incredible because he putted better than anyone else, especially under pressure. If he putts like old Tiger, he will win.

Brian,

Do you feel like going into more detail when you say that Foley's stuff is better than Butch's? (I understand if you don't) Is that because Foley may be using more current ball flight knowledge?

In fairness to ANYONE who coaches Tiger, I think the scandal really snatched his mojo and at least temporarily, changed his destiny.

But Foley did issue a bit of a jab at Haney by saying in effect, if the stuff Tiger was doing previously was that good, he wouldn't have struggled so much. So Foley has really put himself on the line then, so to speak. And by the same standard, if Tiger doesn't significantly improve his driving accuracy, then Foley's stuff will not have been that great either.

And the idea of the greatest putter of all time switching from his trusty friend is just WRONG and a bad idea. The putting Gods don't like that kind of disloyalty.

rcw

New
Superstition is the dark side of wonder.
-Dean Koontz

There are no putting gods. You use what works.
Jack switched a few times. Worked ok for him.

I think that Tiger will be able to adapt and incorporate the mechanics that Foley is teaching, considering his athletic ablity and talent, and in that respect will come out the better for it. However I think that we need to wait and see if he regains that mental focus that was his invisible fifteenth club. both Hogan and Nicklaus demonstrated that intense focus that Tiger used to use to dominate opponents. That seemed to be missing this year. If he can regain it we could be in for some teriffic golf.

Bill, I'll take the field on that one. What is our wager?

Since gambling is illegal at Bushwood, how about some form of physical feat--100 pushups, 100 pullups (not consecutive but for time) run a mile under 8 min, eat 50 eggs (see Cool Hand Luke?)...all on video we'll post here (in high speed)..it could be appropriate since Tiger's a fitness nut.
I'm 44, btw.
OR I've got a paypal acct...but we gotta wait a whole year.

Status
Not open for further replies.