The Release w/Brian Manzella & Michael Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a quick 9-hole round today, the idea of not dragging the handle (thanks goodness for freedom from that idea!), along with lining up and freely releasing the clubhead and -- especially -- with a pre-shot determination to "pull the grip apart" at the upwardly-moving coupling point at impact, all resulted in the return of my clubhead speed, distance AND accuracy that I thought I had lost.

It felt so good to play golf without trying to "hold on" to any-damn-thing. Didn't worry about a single angle -- just let go. I'm hoping that most of the feel from this simple idea collection is confirmed in BManz video because it felt incredibly fantastic -- at least for one day. :)

Brian and team,

One of the teachings biggest challenges is helping players who are out to in path and steep. I believe the thought process was to somehow get the player to swing more shallow and from the inside which makes sense. Moving the path more to the inside usually is not that difficult, but having the player not hit the ground a foot fat is. When players do succeed in making path adjustments they start hitting fat shots then bail on the path adjustment to somehow hit ball first.

The old process was to say "ok Billy, now you got the path right, now we just gotta add some float loaded lag and you'll be mustard".

With the confirmed latest findings, we have learned that the hand path is actually moving up by impact quite sharply. Would you agree that this truly could be the missing key to helping OTT players move their path to the inside without eating dirt?

All the best,

The Honey Badger

BUMP

Just wondering: was the reason you guys didn't teach this earlier in your careers because you thought that the ball would go left if you did?

Dariusz J.

Just wondering: was the reason you guys didn't teach this earlier in your careers because you thought that the ball would go left if you did?

Good question requiring a honest answer. I guess the reason was Brian & Co. believed in TGM that incorrectly labelled everyone of even the slightest sign of a slap-hinge release as flippers.

Cheers

Brian Manzella

Administrator

I taught very nearly this same thing from 1982-1987.

I did nearly this on my full swing pre-June 1987.

I've said this about 100 times.

I think it is a legit question. Earlier I have made a statement that my understanding is that this Release Revelation will be indeed helpful to those who have held on the club for too long too far and not hitting it straight. Brian and Mike in response to that assertion, with the aid of a video, countered my assessment with a no, that this Release mechanism applies to, to paraphrase, everyone. If someone is already releasing optimally, but not necessarily knowing it, what will happen to the ball flight if he gives this some thought and then give it a try? can he overdo it and now the ball goes to the left due to over-releasing or early-releasing?

Reading from the communications from those scientists (it is awesome they are at disposal to answer inquiries), it seems to me to optimize speed has been a major endpoint so far. With the increased speed from an optimized release, can the ball remain straight or can the ball become straighter?

What is the thinking on an optimized release, at higher speed, will necessarily bring about a straighter shot?

I remember reading something Tiger said at one point ( I forgot when and when in his career) that he could not actively release his wrists like some of his fellow PGA guys did because he had a tough time "TIMING' it. In other words, if he had "released" actively, he would lose control. So how big a component is timing with this Release?

Last edited:

rcw

New
As someone who taught TGM principles for 5yrs or so, yes that was my thought. I was told the ball would go left because of throw away and the corresponding closing of the face. I can remember seeing certain great players with an action that looked closer to a throw, and I would wonder how they did what they did.
One for example was Patrick Reed who I watched develop since he was 14. This kid can move the club. He never had the picture perfect flat left wrist through the ball. He is the definition of freewheeling. Now from what I was taught he should lose it left a lot with that move. But watching him and playing with him many times, he just hits it pretty straight, and his miss is mostly to the right.

66er

New
Hey guys, long time lurker here, Im not here to dispute the release just to understand it. Is it anything like a hockey shot, in the way you apply torque to the stick, pulling the left wrist back and going throught with right in a lining up manner? Yeah I know, pretty basic understanding but is that feel anything like the one Brian is talking about or is it completely different altogether?

Hey guys, long time lurker here, Im not here to dispute the release just to understand it. Is it anything like a hockey shot, in the way you apply torque to the stick, pulling the left wrist back and going throught with right in a lining up manner? Yeah I know, pretty basic understanding but is that feel anything like the one Brian is talking about or is it completely different altogether?

YES! Very much the same.

66er

New
Cool, I'll give it a try tomorrow, I understand the pull back and jump now but not entirely sure what the run up is, any chance you could give me a brief description Lindsey?

So Brian what's your take on this video now? You might have had the swing just fine if you didn't try to go to the ball from the top and instead take the wide track back and down?

Cool, I'll give it a try tomorrow, I understand the pull back and jump now but not entirely sure what the run up is, any chance you could give me a brief description Lindsey?

The "run up" is where you are moving the weight off of the back foot at the top of your swing and onto your forward foot prior to impact. Now how forceful, how much and how quick are total feels and player specific. Hopefully, it happens athletically as your preparing to hit without much thinking or trying.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
So Brian what's your take on this video now? You might have had the swing just fine if you didn't try to go to the ball from the top and instead take the wide track back and down?

I was soooooooooooo close.

I had NO IDEA about the RESULTANT PATH or the D-Plane (of course nobody did).

I had a C+ grip.

I just needed a little more know how.

Dariusz J.

Now how forceful, how much and how quick are total feels and player specific.

Well, unless it can occur, hopefully, as one of subsequent unintentional events. No feel or specifics needed then. It just happens because there is no other option - a beauty of automatism.

Cheers

Brian and team,

One of the teachings biggest challenges is helping players who are out to in path and steep. I believe the thought process was to somehow get the player to swing more shallow and from the inside which makes sense. Moving the path more to the inside usually is not that difficult, but having the player not hit the ground a foot fat is. When players do succeed in making path adjustments they start hitting fat shots then bail on the path adjustment to somehow hit ball first.

The old process was to say "ok Billy, now you got the path right, now we just gotta add some float loaded lag and you'll be mustard".

With the confirmed latest findings, we have learned that the hand path is actually moving up by impact quite sharply. Would you agree that this truly could be the missing key to helping OTT players move their path to the inside without eating dirt?

All the best,

The Honey Badger

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Brian and team,

All the best,

The Honey Badger

Replacing the left arm, which REQUIRES A STEEPENING of the left arm on the downswing, is a HUGE piece of the puzzle.

OTT players with corrected FROM THE TOP hand and club paths AND CLUBFACE ROTATION while the body is more-or-less FACING this "out-toss," along with left arm replacement and UP AND IN HAND PATH PRE IMPACT should be pretty darn cured!

Replacing the left arm, which REQUIRES A STEEPENING of the left arm on the downswing, is a HUGE piece of the puzzle.

OTT players with corrected FROM THE TOP hand and club paths AND CLUBFACE ROTATION while the body is more-or-less FACING this "out-toss," along with left arm replacement and UP AND IN HAND PATH PRE IMPACT should be pretty darn cured!

Awesome, thanks!

Brian,

Would it be possible to demonstrate in a video what you mean in your last post? If not, could you explain what you mean by "replacing the left arm" and steepening it in the downswing? I also don't understand which direction the body would be facing in the "out-toss."
I eagerly look forward to purchasing all of your new commercial videos, but would greatly appreciate some clarification until those videos are available. Thank you very much.

gumper

Status
Not open for further replies.