The Release w/Brian Manzella & Michael Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

footwedge

Asked the wife and she said she only needs one hand to crack the whip. Oh! she said it has to be perfectly timed and she never really consciously thinks about it while she's cracking the whip, it takes away the enjoyment, weird...lol.

Last edited:

bcoak

New
Not really. Torques need to be applied. Correct with not trying to "hold" it. It's a very dynamic active happening - you'll love it when you feel it.

Shouldn't the torques happen naturally if you are pivoting correctly? Just wary of "trying" to do something in the swing as opposed to a reaction.

Shouldn't the torques happen naturally if you are pivoting correctly? Just wary of "trying" to do something in the swing as opposed to a reaction.

Pivot....I spent years getting a good pivot. Now I am spending hours every day figuring out how to minimize it. Your pivot can respond as opposed to leading. The pivot can in fact be the biggest cause of dragging the handle. The more I learn, the more I see great players succeeding IN SPITE of their pivot.

footwedge

If you can create torques in the wrists and the arms and the body in a certain way and don't follow the clubhead mass by resisting with torques you created at address and in the b.s. you can get the reaction as opposed to trying to force the force. Hogan did it to perfection.

so basically you are just letting the clubhead fall or release all the way from the top. No effort to lag it or hold it
No effort to lag or hold it. Why? Because if you are lagging it or holding it you are NOT MOVING IT. We all want more clubhead speed, right? Just make a big, wide arc and smoothly accelerate while keeping your lower body as stable as possible. Let the clubhead take the widest track to the ball so it has time! Clubhead speed is all right hand.

Last edited:
Isn't there an Australian guy who has been teaching this for years, and has been ridiculed by many for advocating a pushing action in the downswing?

Tom Tomosello taught the Australian guy (Peter Croker) . Homer Kelley taught Tomosello. Tomosello taught me. Kelley called it radial acceleration and described it as centripetal force diverting the linear force of right arm thrust into a rotating motion. Its not new or radical as Vardon taught pretty much the same thing to his assistant Joe Norwood who wrote a whole book on it. Vardon also taught Tommy Armour who wrote a whole book on it. John Jacobs taught it as did Wild Bill Melhorn. It's a pretty good way to hit a golf ball, but will always be considered outdated until it becomes modern again.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I watched Peter teach LIVE and he DID NOT TEACH WHAT WE ARE ADVOCATING.

I think everyone should just wait for the videos before they guess at what we are teaching.

NOT Golfing Machine HITTING.

NOT Golfing Machine SWINGING.

NOT GOLFING MACHINE SWITTING.

Not Tom Tomesello right arm swinging.

I think everyone should just wait for the videos before they guess at what we are teaching.

I can imagine you are crazy busy, and this question will probably prevent about another dozen of the same, what ARE your plans for releasing this as a video? ETA? Thanks guys.

Brian and team,

One of the teachings biggest challenges is helping players who are out to in path and steep. I believe the thought process was to somehow get the player to swing more shallow and from the inside which makes sense. Moving the path more to the inside usually is not that difficult, but having the player not hit the ground a foot fat is. When players do succeed in making path adjustments they start hitting fat shots then bail on the path adjustment to somehow hit ball first.

The old process was to say "ok Billy, now you got the path right, now we just gotta add some float loaded lag and you'll be mustard".

With the confirmed latest findings, we have learned that the hand path is actually moving up by impact quite sharply. Would you agree that this truly could be the missing key to helping OTT players move their path to the inside without eating dirt?

All the best,

The Honey Badger

footwedge

Pivot....I spent years getting a good pivot. Now I am spending hours every day figuring out how to minimize it. Your pivot can respond as opposed to leading. The pivot can in fact be the biggest cause of dragging the handle. The more I learn, the more I see great players succeeding IN SPITE of their pivot.

Just asking, if you maximized your lower body pivot/hips in the b.s. as some need to do how would you minimize it on the d.s. so as not to pivot like crazy and spin out? Lateral move or axis tilt or...? Maybe the intent of the well timed release?

Just asking, if you maximized your lower body pivot/hips in the b.s. as some need to do how would you minimize it on the d.s. so as not to pivot like crazy and spin out? Lateral move or axis tilt or...? Maybe the intent of the well timed release?

The way I view the swing now is to use my pivot going back to position my club and hands at the top. Once I get there, I feel a very strong pause with my hips and shoulders to allow myself time to swing my hands and club head away.

When I started playing the philosophy I was taught was to begin my tilt and rotation forward while my club and arms were still swing back. I played to a scratch and even plus that way, but never had any true control. I would imagine that torso suppleness or lack thereof plays a role, obviously.

In the end my rotation impulse was very strong because that is how I was first taught, so I used a strong grip and dragged the living shnikey's out of it.

NOT Golfing Machine HITTING.

NOT Golfing Machine SWINGING.

NOT GOLFING MACHINE SWITTING.

Not Tom Tomesello right arm swinging.

Tomosello encouraged me to unhinge (or let unhinge?) both hands via right arm thrust and said he differed from Kelley in that regard. Kelley and supporters seem to prefer the right wrist remaining bent back for as long as possible. Norwood advocated holding the right wrist sealed back but Tommy Armour certainly didn't. I've heard Nicklaus advise unhinging the right hand and I think Mike Austin did as well.

Norwood advocated moving the swing away from the target at the beginning of the downswing. Tomosello advocated driving the swing vertically or straight down toward the ground from the top as did Vardon and John Jacobs. Joe Norwood actually said back away from the target or vertically down at the right heel or right hip were all fine. Their aiming points for this wide downswing were never at the ball or the target line.

I'm really intrigued by your and Mike's new discoveries and can't wait to watch the video. Tomosello never labeled what he taught me. I have a feeling at least some of what you have discovered may be similar to the aforementioned teachers of the past. At least that gives me a starting point. You have my sincerest wishes for prosperity in explaining and promoting this wide target opposite transition? or thrust? from the top and whatever type and moment of wrist release? works. I hope you can tell I still have questions or riddles to unravel before I can claim to fully understand what anyone has ever declared to be definitive about best ways to swing a golf club. Thanks

The way I view the swing now is to use my pivot going back to position my club and hands at the top. Once I get there, I feel a very strong pause with my hips and shoulders to allow myself time to swing my hands and club head away.

When I started playing the philosophy I was taught was to begin my tilt and rotation forward while my club and arms were still swing back. I played to a scratch and even plus that way, but never had any true control. I would imagine that torso suppleness or lack thereof plays a role, obviously.

In the end my rotation impulse was very strong because that is how I was first taught, so I used a strong grip and dragged the living shnikey's out of it.

Great insight into the evolution of the golf swing taught here. Could you explain a bit on how you incorporate the jump while still minimizing the pivot?

By the way, "The honey badger don't give a f***. He gets knocked out from the poison, takes a nap, gets up and starts eating again".

Great insight into the evolution of the golf swing taught here. Could you explain a bit on how you incorporate the jump while still minimizing the pivot?

By the way, "The honey badger don't give a f***. He gets knocked out from the poison, takes a nap, gets up and starts eating again".

I feel that if I get the arms and club head swinging away and down to low point early enough ( before pivot drag hits) then I can use my pivot and everything to yank up prior to impact. For me the, the pivot will be there at the right time if I don't use it early.

Status
Not open for further replies.