The Release w/Brian Manzella & Michael Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a quick 9-hole round today, the idea of not dragging the handle (thanks goodness for freedom from that idea!), along with lining up and freely releasing the clubhead and -- especially -- with a pre-shot determination to "pull the grip apart" at the upwardly-moving coupling point at impact, all resulted in the return of my clubhead speed, distance AND accuracy that I thought I had lost.

It felt so good to play golf without trying to "hold on" to any-damn-thing. Didn't worry about a single angle -- just let go. I'm hoping that most of the feel from this simple idea collection is confirmed in BManz video because it felt incredibly fantastic -- at least for one day. :)
I had the exact same thing happen to me, pull the grip apart while pulling up. I could swing as hard as I wanted. Hit 8 of 9 gir yesterday (personal best). The one green I missed I hit a sweet bunker shot with the same thought and I suck out of the sand. I've been pretty agressive coming down then just pull up as hard as I can. Same thing with driver If I wasn't pulling up the head would probably bury in the ground.

RLX Pro Matteo Manassero on Driver Shots - YouTube

Brian teaches that pivot, that tracer illustrates some of the points about the release, and the "still hands" don't prevent him from going normal.

I think Release has 2 components. body and hand. and each good player use a combination of the two, in different proportions, with optimal outcome.

But i question if this swing is really a telling model for what currently mike and brian are advocating, imo. This roll looks a bit delayed to me--even he himself said about "holding"-- but over time, he probably has figured out that his release works well with his entire body mechanics...for him. A player of his caliber is perhaps more concerned about winning a golf game than releasing with more power, when amateurs jump up in joy when they get to HIT the ball farther,,,,so what?

A golf swing is like a person's signature. To each his own.

Last edited:
Unless his own is crap, of course.;)

However crappy, his signature is still his...:)

To me, a teachers' job is not just delivering information or even correct information. A teacher's job is to understand the student.

I have never come in contact with the prominent teachers on this forum. But from reading the feedback from those who have, it seems to me on a one on one teaching setting, I highly doubt Brian and his team will be there reciting a lot of the hard core data that they tend to do here. A good teacher must be practical. Most of the stuff on this website a hacker does not need to know:)

At the end of the day, a student perhaps needs to ask, do i want to learn to talk better golf, or play better golf? :)

Last edited:
This roll looks a bit delayed to me--even he himself said about "holding"-- but over time, he probably has figured out that his release works well with his entire body mechanics...for him.

A golf swing is like a person's signature. To each his own.

His "holding" may still be for just an inch or a fraction of second longer than his tendency.

Give me your definition of "snapping the whip."

Not my definition - found on some other site...

Cracking a whip

We have all cracked a whip or have tried to crack a whip. The principle is the same as snapping a towel. The point is to jerk back on the whip just before the whip reaches its full length thus snapping the tip and creating a noise. This jerking back represents centripetal force. Transferring this principle to the golf swing involves pulling on the club during the down swing to increase the velocity of the club head. In this case the club head would be compared to the tip of the whip. To appreciate how important this is, think of this. The tip of the whip breaks the sound barrier! The sound barrier is 740 mph! In golf we are only trying to reach about 100 mph.

footwedge

Not my definition - found on some other site...

Cracking a whip

We have all cracked a whip or have tried to crack a whip. The principle is the same as snapping a towel. The point is to jerk back on the whip just before the whip reaches its full length thus snapping the tip and creating a noise. This jerking back represents centripetal force. Transferring this principle to the golf swing involves pulling on the club during the down swing to increase the velocity of the club head. In this case the club head would be compared to the tip of the whip. To appreciate how important this is, think of this. The tip of the whip breaks the sound barrier! The sound barrier is 740 mph! In golf we are only trying to reach about 100 mph.

Get a long piece of rope , attach it to a wood handle/thick dowel the size of a golf grip butt end. then see how you can crack the whip with 2 hands on the handle and swing like you would hitting a golf shot, it might be a surprise to some what you have to do to make it work.

Get a long piece of rope , attach it to a wood handle/thick dowel the size of a golf grip butt end. then see how you can crack the whip with 2 hands on the handle and swing like you would hitting a golf shot, it might be a surprise to some what you have to do to make it work.

I'm not saying it works - I just hear the "Snapping/Cracking the whip" metaphor a lot when golf teachers talk. Just wondering if Brian and Mike still/ever used it.

Just read an article in a golf mag about x-factor and x-factor stretch etc etc. and how its the key to long hitting.

It's a whole load of BS. Agree, or disagree?

Relates to this thread in as much as the effect of the Manzella Release on clubhead speed has been extensively discussed, in addition to some "new-old" ideas about the role of the pivot/body with regard to clubhead speed.

dbl

New
I vote for keeping pages 167-189 still on the clubhead action and hand path - in the release interval or impact.

If you want to talk body stuff, how about whether a guy in a wheelchair would be better off with this line-it-up release or holding the lag?

Fair comment dbl about keeping the thread hand specific from now on. Up till now it has definitely not been hand specific thankfully because I don't think anyone is going to start playing without moving their bodies;) The "release"/CP is useless on its own.

footwedge

Fair comment dbl about keeping the thread hand specific from now on. Up till now it has definitely not been hand specific thankfully because I don't think anyone is going to start playing without moving their bodies;) The "release"/CP is useless on its own.

Bingo! Agree 100%. Whip it, throw it around like a towel, break the grip in two and my favorite throw it, that's funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.