left arm rotation on backswing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdZ

New
How much does your upper left arm move compared to PP1 after both arms straight? not much, if it is, you've got a chicken wing

When your left elbow bends after both arms straight, do you still think the entire left arm is even in the same plane? no, it isn't - but PP1 is.

quote:Originally posted by Powerdraw

Brian, i have a little "montage" of an image i did for an AI who asked me to spice up his lines showing the radius and stuff...i was wondering if i could post it here? i think it would add something to this thread, might not be perfect but i guess everythings debatable!
if i may, could you tell me how to post it please, thanks.

It needs to be posted somewhere on the internet like a Yahoo/Geo file manger, after its gets its own url, stick the url address between the brackets below:

[img]
because these brackets are alive I can't show them compelete. The last bracket needs to have a back slash [/ then img and finish with the bracket.

This works on most forums and will show the picture in the post.

good luck. 6b

rwh

New
quote:Originally posted by EdZ

How much does your upper left arm move compared to PP1 after both arms straight? not much, if it is, you've got a chicken wing

When your left elbow bends after both arms straight, do you still think the entire left arm is even in the same plane? no, it isn't - but PP1 is.

Very well, Ed. You don't have to answer the questions that are asked
if you don't want to. Have a good day.

EdZ

New
What didn't I answer?

You said " there is no point on the left arm that is not moving in an arc around the shoulder joint"

and I disagree - the left elbow is in another plane after both arms straight, it has to be if the elbow is bent.

Thats the nice thing about machines, they're tangible! No illusions, nothing illusory about it. Look at a 3rd class lever. Fulcrum or pivot = left shoulder. If you can't explain it with tangibles, if you need imaginary dotted lines, its suspect. The radius from left shoulder to my left wrist never changes.
If I form a triangle between my hands and shoulders and call swing center, the "imaginary" straight line between my shoulders through the hands, shaft and clubhead. Why? In illustrations of levers they generally use a wooden plank or board as the lever. How effective would the lever be, if the lever was air? What is that gap between your hands and the point between your shoulders? Air... Why? When you can make a very effective lever and machine out of available body parts? No good reasons!

quote:Originally posted by rwh

EdZ & Ringer --

Is there some reason why you guys reject the proposition that the left arm moves in an arc around the shoulder joint?

I don't reject that at all.. however in no way does the left shoulder DIVIDE the swing in any equal way making it's definition of CENTER a foolish one. The only way it could be achieved would be with Zero Pivot. EVERYTHING moves around the base of the neck... quite clearly defining it as the most logical "Center" of the swing. The left arm moves around it just as much as the right shoulder and right elbow do... but esspecially the hands and club moves around it. Since the right shoulder and right elbow do not move around the left shoulder, it cannot be viewed as the center of the swing.

You are comingling issues. I'm not discussing how the left arm is moved right now. I'm only discussing the shape of the motion of the left arm around the shoulder joint. Stick with that.

Do you agree that the left arm moves in an arc around the shoulder joint irrespective of where the shoulder joint may be located in space? Yes or No.
I agree that the left arm moves in an arc around the shoulder, but it's a very SMALL amount. No more than taking the club at address and moving the club over your right shoulder. Just how much did your arm move? It shouldn't move any more than that during the entire golf swing either.

Now what about the right shoulder. How does it move around the left shoulder? Quite clearly in the book, the right shoulder MOVES the left one. For that matter what about the right elbow?

quote:Originally posted by Powerdraw
...Ringer you are correct...you can build a kite without knowing about the nuts and bolts and wind conditions and factors...you are correct...you can do the same with your swing if you wish...learn the correct way to build but not taking care of the different factors that can influence the shot...

you are correct, you can build that kite...but if you want to build the better kite, if you want to build it better than before, than you MUST have more information...maybe that way youre kite wont nosedive down into the bank because it was not built on consideration of wind turbulence etc...you can build it and learn to fly it and also learn to manage it in the storm...now theres a real instruction manual to fly a simple kite...everyone finds his own...

theres the kiddy section and the engineer section of flying IF one desires to peak at it to learn more...either the Joe Duffer or Joe Pro.Guess Homer called em options.

my 0.02$
The blueprints of how to build a kite should not be in any way altered for the turbulence of the wind. Perhaps STRONGER material for harsher conditions, but the contstruction of the kite itself should not change. There is a specific reason for it's design, and when you alter the design, it no longer is as effective EXCEPT under the specific conditions you describe.

If I were to add a second crossbar, I may increase the strength of the kite, but I will also be reducing the amount of air passing to the fabric. But now we're starting to talk about kite building in a golf forum... the point I was making still stands. The circle is an imaginary one that doesn't influence the components of the swing. It may influence the mind, but not the components.

Very well, Ed. You don't have to answer the questions that are asked
if you don't want to. Have a good day.

He quite clearly answered your question. You are just unhappy because it is not the exact answer of "yes" that you wanted.

What didn't I answer?

You said " there is no point on the left arm that is not moving in an arc around the shoulder joint"

and I disagree - the left elbow is in another plane after both arms straight, it has to be if the elbow is bent.
Not true Edz... the elbow STILL must move around the shoulder simply because it is attached to it. But that doesn't mean that they must remain on plane with each other... which is the differing oppinion here I believe.

I still don't see how the right arm, elbow, or shoulder move around the left shoulder.

Semantics! Why does the center or origin of the swing have to be divisible, Ringer? Its the fulcrum/pivot of the lever. (left arm and shaft at impact) Show me a lever at the base of the neck?

quote:Originally posted by Ringer

EdZ & Ringer --

Is there some reason why you guys reject the proposition that the left arm moves in an arc around the shoulder joint?

I don't reject that at all.. however in no way does the left shoulder DIVIDE the swing in any equal way making it's definition of CENTER a foolish one. The only way it could be achieved would be with Zero Pivot. EVERYTHING moves around the base of the neck... quite clearly defining it as the most logical "Center" of the swing. The left arm moves around it just as much as the right shoulder and right elbow do... but esspecially the hands and club moves around it. Since the right shoulder and right elbow do not move around the left shoulder, it cannot be viewed as the center of the swing.

Draw a contiguous line from the base of the neck to the clubface at impact. Not straight.

Draw a contiguous line from left shoulder to clubface at impact. Straight. Like the straight string the rock orbits!

Operative word is contiguous. No illusions or imaginary dotted lines.

The upper arm is closer to the swing center (left shoulder), so, in general it won't move as much as the lower arm, and even slower than the hands and more slower than the clubface. Straight physics. The further from center the faster the speed. This only confirms the obvious. Which is why I'm surprised this post has even resurfaced. Not that I mind clarifying.

Could you clarify to me how you can get a straight contiguous line from base of neck in between the shoulders to the clubface.
I would have to agree with you. You would have a bent string.

EdZ

New
At both arms straight.

Impact occurs before low point. You wouldn't want a perfectly straight line at impact (even in your view), you need lag - margin for error.

We've been over this Corky. I disagree with your view (actually, I don't think it is complete), you disagree with mine.

quote:Originally posted by corky05

Semantics! Why does the center or origin of the swing have to be divisible, Ringer? Its the fulcrum/pivot of the lever. (left arm and shaft at impact) Show me a lever at the base of the neck?

quote:Originally posted by Ringer

EdZ & Ringer --

cen·ter [sént#601;r]
n (plural cen·ters)
1. middle point or area: the middle point, area, or part of something that is the same distance from all edges or opposite sides
2. mathematics middle of circle or sphere: the interior point that is the same distance from all points on the circumference of a circle or the surface of a sphere or the vertices of a polygon
3. mathematics middle of line: the point on a line that is the same distance from both ends
4. pivotal point or axis: the point or line around which something rotates
5. physics point where force acts: the point at or through which a force is considered to act

Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2003. © 1993-2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Again, the only way you can claim that the left shoulder is the CENTER would be with Zero Body Pivot, or if you were to define the SWING as only the primary lever assmebly.

The base of the neck is the fulcrum of the shoulders which act as a Type 1 Lever system. The triangle of the power package rotates around that point making IT the center of the swing.

So now, i ask again since no one seems to be able to answer it but instead continue to argue other points... if the left shoulder is the center of the swing, why does the right shoulder not move around it? Or are you under the impression that the right shoulder is not part of the swing?

Status
Not open for further replies.