My battle with "Over the Top"

Status
Not open for further replies.
see what birdie man?
thanks for the help guys, im gonna set up with a more of a draw set up, more axis tilt...etc.
then brian you want my to get my elbows further apart-would i be correct in saying that?
need to keep my right shoulder lower....then i think you want a video where just after impact it stops with hopefully the butt of the club pointing to the right of the target.
thanks

It Works!

i think you want a video where just after impact it stops with hopefully the butt of the club pointing to the right of the target.
thanks

Medici:

Saw Brian today-this guy knows his $^#%. I have the same problem that you do with OTT - mine is very very bad!!!! Brian had me do this drill - it is hard at first, but after a while, the contact and direction started coming around. The drill is what BM stated - you want to actually have the butt of the club point at, or preferably to the right of, the target when your hands are at your shoulder on the follow through. Remember, this is a drill.....hit half or 3/4 shots to get the feeling. Take before and after pictures and you will notice the difference!!! I just experienced it.

Gary

Last year I suggested the same drill and Brian told me I was wrong and worse. Now suddenly the same drill when suggested by Brian is ok.
Koolaid please.

Medici:

Saw Brian today-this guy knows his $^#%. I have the same problem that you do with OTT - mine is very very bad!!!! Brian had me do this drill - it is hard at first, but after a while, the contact and direction started coming around. The drill is what BM stated - you want to actually have the butt of the club point at, or preferably to the right of, the target when your hands are at your shoulder on the follow through. Remember, this is a drill.....hit half or 3/4 shots to get the feeling. Take before and after pictures and you will notice the difference!!! I just experienced it.

Gary

Robots???

Not everyone is the same. Maybe something that would work for someone may not for someone else.

Koolaid tastes good.

Ack Koolaid!! That's no good........

KoolAidMan_Fullpic_2.gif

Last year I suggested the same drill and Brian told me I was wrong and worse. Now suddenly the same drill when suggested by Brian is ok.
Koolaid please.

Five days later and still no links.

More unsubstantiated claims from you. If you're going to come on the site, make mean-spirited remarks like this, and then not even back it up, I just feel obligated to call you out :).

still coming over the top, not as bad but still there!!

Didn't mean to ignore you there Medici :). This thread is about your "over the top" problem after all.

What is your typical miss anyways? As in, where does the ball start, and then where does it curve.

its ok holeout...il forgive you..haha.
well recently i have started to hit a few more draws starting right of my target and coming back, but my bad shot is still either a big high push fade or a slice, divot quite left of the target and ball going left to right. i have 2weeks now of just playing and practising so im definitely going to make some progress now!! if anyone wants another video taking then il get one. thanks

I stopped coming over the top when I learned to stay in my spine angle.

I dont know where you are now and im a little late in chiming in but I too stopped coming OTT when I learned to turn around the spine angle 'properly' going back. The second half of my backswing was all arms, ergo the shoulders turned flat - once I learned to turn the shoulders on a more vertical plane so that the left shoulder went down and the right went up and behind I could just bump my left hip or pull the club straight down from the top. Indeed I found if I got to the right place at the top it was pretty hard to come over the top

The problem I had was that if I did everything with my hands and didnt turn right it still *looked OK* in a mirror or on film or whatever .. when actually my shoulders were turned flat meaning all I could do was turn them level coming down and thus the club would go out and around. Once I learned my shoulders had to be tilted like a ferris wheel going up and around I hit it way better because my right shoulder had to come down and the left shoulder up on the downswing

Here's some other things to maybe try?

1. Make sure your hands are in front of the ball at address i.e. level with your left thigh

2. Shorten your backswing

3. Feel like your arms move quicker than your body on the downswing. Let the arms lead the body down and around

How about stomping on your left heel? You look like you shift your weight in the downswing to the middle of your foot and your right hip rotates around your left leg --- thereby coming out a bit. Think about getting your left hip away from the ball.

Here's some other things to maybe try?

1. Make sure your hands are in front of the ball at address i.e. level with your left thigh

2. Shorten your backswing

3. Feel like your arms move quicker than your body on the downswing. Let the arms lead the body down and around

with all due respect, that is really bad advice for someone who has trouble with OTT and swinging left, IMHO

they need nore axis tilt, and more LOWER body lead arms to create a more inside path

with all due respect, that is really bad advice for someone who has trouble with OTT and swinging left, IMHO

they need nore axis tilt, and more LOWER body lead arms to create a more inside path

Good point but I work on this myself when I struggle with pulls. I find if I try and get too much lower body (axis tilt) i'll just get a big hip slide and either block/push to the right or have to flip to save it. My own problem was my body was outracing my arms on the way down hence I was OTT. I had no problem with the lower body, its just my upper body always went too early. When I started pulling down with my left arm from the top as I bumped a little laterally and feeling that my arms dropped before I turned that straightened me out

Perhaps I was/am missing something too but I need to 'feel' like I synch up my arms dropping and my upper body holding back as I move the lower body forward in the transition

Status
Not open for further replies.