October '03- Never Slice Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by mikestloc

edz....i think you may have a bigger ego than brian.....and that, my friend, is saying PLENTY.......

just stay here long enough to cull the best ideas from brian...for free.....so you can tell your students you've got an exciting new drill....give me a break......i honestly hope you're not like the others at the fgi casanostra......

Not at all Mike, I am quite a humble guy in fact, and honestly, I don't need any ideas from Brian, I already know everything I have seen him post, which is good info, when presented in his articles, and which is full of ego when he posts to others, not unlike your response to me.

And again, to my knowledge, I haven't seen a single post of Brian's that is what he claims, "original". If he doesn't care to share it for "free", that's fine, but cut out the hype and get to helping people play better golf, isn't that the goal? And if it isn't "original", then perhaps he should give credit to the source?

Golf should be a place\game of respect among peers, and I for one hope that it will be.

EdZ

New
I teach private lessons when I have the time, but am a software engineer by trade.... people come to me by referals, and all I ask is that they pay me whatever they think is fair, based on how much they feel they improve. I teach both new and established players, lots of playing lessons. I teach because I love the game. I've been playing for 30+ years... I enjoy teaching kids the most though.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Haven't taught any Major Winners Ed?

Ask David Toms if he remembers the 'fiddle drill' and 100% original drill designed by BM, like a 10000000 others.

Oh yeah your slice guess was WAY WAY off.

Nice try....

How much do you charge for software writing? I may need your services.

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by brianman

Haven't taught any Major Winners Ed?

Ask David Toms if he remembers the 'fiddle drill' and 100% original drill designed by BM, like a 10000000 others.

Oh yeah your slice guess was WAY WAY off.

Nice try....

How much do you charge for software writing? I may need your services.

Well aside from the simple fact that a reverse shift is 'obviously' cause for a slice, I'm sure you'll come of with a new word like "twist" to tell me why you think you have something new to say on the topic. ;)

I've no interest in teaching tour players..... much more rewarding to help a kid, and to see how excited new students are when they finally "get it". Nor do I care anything about Toms (and honestly, I don't care for his swing much, and didn't long before I encountered you, so don't take it personally). This game isn't about a profit, or a status for me, unlike many others. I teach because I like to help people, and I love the game.

And as far as software goes..... I'm sure I can come up with a 'special', just for you.....[8D]

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Do you write for wintel or mac?

have a real job I nead written...

The reverse pivot is OBVIOUSLY a 'cause' for NOTHING...zero zilch

You'd be hard pressed to find DT swing-knockers...but Tom Bartlett ALWAYS hit it the best of anyone I ever seen escept Tiger and Maybe a younger Fred Couples.

90-20-9.jpg

EdZ

New

Do you write for wintel or mac?

have a real job I nead written...

The reverse pivot is OBVIOUSLY a 'cause' for NOTHING...zero zilch

You'd be hard pressed to find DT swing-knockers...but Tom Bartlett ALWAYS hit it the best of anyone I ever seen escept Tiger and Maybe a younger Fred Couples.

B.S. on the pivot.... if you're going to state that kind of crap.... simply depends on when in the 'chain' of the swing you are referencing.. and your question wasn't what causes a RP, it was why it causes a slice. ;)

everything is then 'caused' by setup (which is of course largely true). I've seen plenty of people RP with a 'decent' setup, including Hogan, and Jose Maria for that matter, depending on how you define RP.

Nice try though.....

As for the work, depends on what you need done... and what languages etc.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ed...

The reverse pivot does not cause people to slice.

If you set up a model (i have one) for a normal grip and normal everything else and reverse pivot the backswing (That means LEANING left at the top) then most of the time a person (and the model) will hit a PULL.

But.....REAL People SLICE from there (left lean)...

Now the point is I HAD TO FIGURE this out, because I NEVER HAD A SUPPLY of lessons at the places where I taught...I had to come up with stuff to eat.

I had it somewhat figured out before Ben taught me G.O.L.F., but after that point, I had it.

and I have never READ the explanation (that I have come up with) anywhere else.

That's all.

ok funny thing, I ussually hook my irons latley. but slice my driver. And I have been doing wrist cock all wrong since I started. I was cocking them toward me (thumbs towards shoulders) witch led me to a cupped left wrist. I am thinging it is the cupped left wrist that was leading to my pulls/hooks. Now I tried this slice cure and my ball is straight now (I thought it would pull even more) but by not letting the left wrist cup (it cant if I cock the right wrist in the proper postition) My shots with irons were all straight! and longer than they were in the past. (I think this has to do with more extension by keeping my left wrist flat through impact)
My driver I was hitting a fade instead of a slice then realized I wasn't rotating my forearms, after I did that I was shooting with a slight draw.
Now here is the amazing thing.
after contact was made, my right knee was hitting my left leg!

someone had suggested thats how I should finish and tried it and couldn't do it, so I went back to a more stable base for me,but when I tried the new wrist cock my body started to move in what I envision is more correct mannor.
I also slowed down my back swing in order to be sure I was correct at the top and it seemed to help also.

hope all this makes sense as I have only started to learn about my swings and others golf swings recently.

anyways what I am saying is thanks. I will take a new video soon and see if you all can tell the difference.

Now if only there was a TGM Instructor near my town!!!

quote:Originally posted by brentb

ok funny thing, I ussually hook my irons latley. but slice my driver. And I have been doing wrist cock all wrong since I started. I was cocking them toward me (thumbs towards shoulders) witch led me to a cupped left wrist. I am thinging it is the cupped left wrist that was leading to my pulls/hooks. Now I tried this slice cure and my ball is straight now (I thought it would pull even more) but by not letting the left wrist cup (it cant if I cock the right wrist in the proper postition) My shots with irons were all straight! and longer than they were in the past. (I think this has to do with more extension by keeping my left wrist flat through impact)
My driver I was hitting a fade instead of a slice then realized I wasn't rotating my forearms, after I did that I was shooting with a slight draw.
Now here is the amazing thing.
after contact was made, my right knee was hitting my left leg!

someone had suggested thats how I should finish and tried it and couldn't do it, so I went back to a more stable base for me,but when I tried the new wrist cock my body started to move in what I envision is more correct mannor.
I also slowed down my back swing in order to be sure I was correct at the top and it seemed to help also.

hope all this makes sense as I have only started to learn about my swings and others golf swings recently.

anyways what I am saying is thanks. I will take a new video soon and see if you all can tell the difference.

Now if only there was a TGM Instructor near my town!!!

That's nice. Please let us know how you are hitting it, a month from now.

Interesting note. I saw Hank Johnson a few years ago on The Golf Channel. He was showing the cocked-wrist drill, exactly the way Brian was saying not to do. I remember thinking, "This guy is slightly TGM trained? He just made a big error on TV"

quote:Originally posted by earlydoucet

That's nice. Please let us know how you are hitting it, a month from now.

well so may people seem to be sarcastic on here toward BM was that what this was? Or were you being genuine?

If genuine I will for sure.

If your insinuating I will go back to a hook again, I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I am not a great golfer.But I enjoy it. I am new to golf (Only played the last 2 years.) But I have been playing a few times a week in the last couple of months. Not to mention driving range time etc.
I am learning many things about my swing and it is improving. There is still alot of improvment to be made. I wish I would have started younger. Oh well there is always the senior tour :)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
BTW...

EDz (and very few others) comment's about how UN-original my ANTI-slice article was, made me do some research.

I read Hank Haney, Jim McClean, Butch Harmon and David Leadbetter's most recent book's ANTI-slice sections...

Ed, you need to go to Barnes and Noble, 'cause either I am very right about how to fix the slice (I am ;)) or THEY are.

EdZ

New

BTW...

EDz (and very few others) comment's about how UN-original my ANTI-slice article was, made me do some research.

I read Hank Haney, Jim McClean, Butch Harmon and David Leadbetter's most recent book's ANTI-slice sections...

Ed, you need to go to Barnes and Noble, 'cause either I am very right about how to fix the slice (I am ;)) or THEY are.

I don't recall saying any of those guys were the 'original' parts of your article...

But Dante, and Mindy Blake.... (and evershed as someone else pointed out) were...

I know you must have at least read Dante (I hope)

So those guys have it wrong, or rather, they have a 'different' view, which, as you should know from TGM, doesn't mean they are 'wrong', just that they have an alternate approach.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
You wouldn't give me FULL credit Ed if you had extra in your bottom drawer.

:)

Also about the Stan Utley (soft-spoken) is a good role model for me...

I am ME and maybe HE could learn something (or 20) from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.