OCTOBER 10, 2006 — 7:00 EDT — LIVE THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
blehnhard said:
Brian - pattern was for STT

For the RFT, I would get the clubface 'opening' early and then just lifting the club up with the cocking of the RF. Hips and Shoulders would be 'pulled' to the top/end postion.

bruce

Do you hit a draw or a fade?

(I know I have asked before)

Draw or Fade

I play a fade almost all the time with a driver (ball moves 5 to 10 yds, 255 to 260 carry) - With anything else, I can go either way (just open or close at address and open of close the clubface).

If I have to draw it off the tee, I will almost always go with a 3W.

Bruce

Brian Manzella

Administrator
blehnhard said:
I play a fade almost all the time with a driver (ball moves 5 to 10 yds, 255 to 260 carry) - With anything else, I can go either way (just open or close at address and open of close the clubface).

If I have to draw it off the tee, I will almost always go with a 3W.

Bruce

Backswing is FLAT-ISH or UPRIGHT-ISH?

Flat or Up

I would say my tendency over the years has been to take it away flat then lift my arms a lot at the end of the back motion. Start down would be very vertical, and then I would work the shaft back to a more satisfactory plane during the downstroke (this is referring to very old videos).

I think I now get my arms moving upward now at a more even rate, so that I do not have the big lift at the top. I have not had any video work done in a while.

Just trying to get a little better (so I can keep playing well) as I get older - 64 next month - current hdcp is +2 with mediocre putting. Just so I am not 'hiding' anything, I am a former exempt player on the Senior PGA Tour. Just a weekend golfer now - playing for fun, but love the challenge of always wanting to get better.

Bruce

Brian Manzella

Administrator
golfbulldog said:
Have you and Peter Croker had any further discussions re. golf since he visited you?

Nope.

I really don't know about that meeting.

But I do know this, I am not a big fan of his pivot idea.

He was nice to me, but at first, so were a lot of people.

Hey Brian....the twistaway push thing is me!!!!

Brian Manzella said:
Better ATHLETES do get some PUSH ball behavior....it's the ARCHED wrist thing.

Either more roll or less twist with more roll will fix it.

Can you explain more the arched wrist thing. Am I now twisting too far back with the right wrist. Do I need to roll it more on impact????

Brian Manzella

Administrator
blehnhard said:
I would say my tendency over the years has been to take it away flat then lift my arms a lot at the end of the back motion. Start down would be very vertical, and then I would work the shaft back to a more satisfactory plane during the downstroke (this is referring to very old videos).

I think I now get my arms moving upward now at a more even rate, so that I do not have the big lift at the top. I have not had any video work done in a while.

Just trying to get a little better (so I can keep playing well) as I get older - 64 next month - current hdcp is +2 with mediocre putting. Just so I am not 'hiding' anything, I am a former exempt player on the Senior PGA Tour. Just a weekend golfer now - playing for fun, but love the challenge of always wanting to get better.

Bruce

I would use the STT, and make sure there is enough UP on the backstroke to not hit TOO MUCH of the inside of the ball.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
30yrlayoff said:
Can you explain more the arched wrist thing. Am I now twisting too far back with the right wrist. Do I need to roll it more on impact????

The TWISTAWAY is designed to HELP a student wind up with a FLAT LEFT WRIST.

That is your goal, a FLW at the top WITH a supporting LEFT THUMB.

When discussing Ben's pattern, you often say that it is a good pattern, but isn't for everyone.

Who is this pattern good for???

What physical characteristic would this golfer have???

Do you feel like it is Manzella vs the golfing world???

Blast off

Michael Finney likes Ben Doyle's "Blast Off" left arm - I would agree with you - that is one powerful feeling.

I can really sense this more on shots from 100 yds in then on full swings with a driver. Nothing like a 3/4 backswing, then just turn hard left and strike the inside of the ball.

Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:
You said a better athlete would start to push the ball as a result..

Brian Manzella said:
The TWISTAWAY is designed to HELP a student wind up with a FLAT LEFT WRIST.

That is your goal, a FLW at the top WITH a supporting LEFT THUMB.

Not that I am a super athlete but...I am pushing like crazy. I was curious if I may be at a stage where I am overdoing the twist. So, the roll you mentioned, was that through the ball. Should I be thinking less twist???

Brian Manzella

Administrator
self-mastery said:
When discussing Ben's pattern, you often say that it is a good pattern, but isn't for everyone.

Who is this pattern good for???

What physical characteristic would this golfer have???

Do you feel like it is Manzella vs the golfing world???

A talented player.

Like Mike Finney.

It worked for me at 150 lbs.

It worked for Tom Bartlett at 180.

I am moving a student of mine toward it right now—of course she has TEH MOST ability of ANY female I have ever taught.

Status
Not open for further replies.