The Release w/Brian Manzella & Michael Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Todd, you lost me at "Conservation of Angular....."

Doesn't exist in a golf swing.

Actually the correct answer is, it does exist and it doesn't exist, which you probably already knew. However, inherent in that answer is a key element and tool for the successful researcher.

Last edited:

Jwat

New
I think you can add/subtract elements for power or control as needed. The thing is the distance from your left hand to your left shoulder doesn't change.

So all you are doing is trying to disprove this finding with the same old Left shoulder controlling low point? What does the distance from your left hand to left shoulder have anything to do with what we are discussing?

Isn't this great!!!

(below....new sig)

It really is. What I respect about you and your staff is that you aren't afraid to step out and take a chance on being proved wrong in order to learn something new and get better. I think what's even cooler is that you're at heart a golf nerd who obviously loves what you're doing, and loves the process of learning itself. Keep it up!

Brian Manzella

Administrator
TOP 10 "take homes" from latest Project 1.68 information

1. The Kinetic Sequence may be, at its heart, just a reaction.

2. Pivoting like crazy is crazy.

3. Trying to shift weight back and forth, or NOT shift weight at all, or shift forward early, are ALL a waste of time. So is trying to restrict the movement of the head. THEY ARE ALL REACTIONS TO THE SWING when down properly, except maybe something to start the thing off for some.

4. The pivot is very important for POSITIONING the shoulder complexes/arms/wrists/hands/& club.

5. Both the shoulder complexes (shrug, roll, lift, etc.) and the hands (as opposed to just the wrists) contribute to club head speed.

6. The flat left wrist (through the ball), is just a point in time.

7. The "line up" gets SOME help from the momentum of the swing, but shoulder complexes/arms/wrists/hands/& club + the rest of the pivot does all the real work.

8. The D-Plane is still king.

9. You can fake positions past the ball (on purpose or on accident) that have NOTHING TO DO with how you applied the club to the ball.

10. The best players in the world "know" how to do it. Unless they are taught otherwise.

Jwat

New
1. Does having the correct kinematic sequence on the backswing make it just reactionary on the DS? I notice when just solely focusing on closing the gap of the clubhead and ball as soon as possible on the DS automatically gets my body sequenced.

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
1. Does having the correct kinematic sequence on the backswing make it just reactionary on the DS? I notice when just solely focusing on closing the gap of the clubhead and ball as soon as possible on the DS automatically gets my body sequenced.

BINGO!!! Close that gap!!!

I wouldn't recommend a kinematic sequence concept to a backswing, I would recommend seeing it as geared together

close the gap?

What does closing the gap between the club and ball mean? And for those who have had success doing this, how are you doing it? Surely, there is a right way and wrong way to close that gap.

This is one great thread of new information. Is this stuff so new that it's even new to Project 1.68?

As a relatively new golfer (and a bad one at that) I remember trying out a driver a few years ago at a big-box golf store and telling the (bored) kid who was assisting me that I was currently trying out a swing that (to me) had elements of Furyk's method, kind of a mini-looping at the beginning of the downswing and really trying to "whip" the club through the ball (which now reminds me of that I was sort of doing this away from the target move at the beginning of the downswing and a bit of "up and in" of my hands to accommodate that swing.

The kids response was "good luck with that" (eyeroll) and that pretty much began (again) the search for "my swing" that continues to this day.

With the above in mind, does anyone think that Furyk's swing might be a good example of what's being talked about on the thread? Not so much that his swing is anything to emulate but as a good model that illustrates (in it's unique way) the "away from the target" and "up and in" moves?

Just wondering.

So all you are doing is trying to disprove this finding with the same old Left shoulder controlling low point? What does the distance from your left hand to left shoulder have anything to do with what we are discussing?

Come on grahler, speak up! The answer is, you have to do this "up and in revelation" by shortening the distance, which is a really GREAT idea.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Jacobs either doesn't understand the aiming point concept or is engaging in intentional misrepresentation.

The hands should NEVER be directed at the plane line. NEVER.

The concept is DEAD WRONG.

Listen close.....

• Flat Left Wrist is NOT to be strived for, for any length of time.

• Straight Plane Line (at the target) will result in hooks.

• Clubhead Lag Pressure point is a DETRIMENT.

• Hinge Action is a fantasy.

etc....

Geez....

I don't understand some of the posts here..can anyone actually say they play good golf with the hands travelling down and out until impact?

And as far as saying "of course whats the big deal?", I assume you've not been watching the same instructional videos I have..

I mean, I have a copy of 'The Impact Zone' right here, and Bobby Clampett's talk of aiming point:
"..he constructs an imaginary line between his hands at the end of his backstroke or backswing to a point along his plane line in front of the ball"
..and theres a picture of a tee infront of the ball to indicate this. Now, the video and information here would suggest to me that this point is too far outside the ideal hand path. And we know out also means down. So, I conclude that Bobby means the hands travel down and out, to a point infront of the ball.
And the idea here is the total opposite of that.

But then maybe I totally misunderstood the book, and all the similar videos and instruction I've seen along a similar line. Maybe it was always obvious :)

Dariusz J.

But the axis of the left arm swing is at the joint.

No. Even if there is virtually no rear arm help (which is impossible) we still must hold the club with both arms which makes it impossible (again) to create the axis going through the lead shoulder joint. The more the axis is close to the joint (what we should strive for but UNINTENTIONALLY, through proper pivot associated with proper CoG shift) the more parametric acceleration (and unintentional squaring of the clubface happens) - that's why body turn (pivot) is crucial and that's why concepts like hands controlled pivot are total biokinetic crap.
This is why I always repeat - physics without anatomy in case of analyzing any human motion is misleading. Not mentioning geometry without anatomy LOL.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.