The Release w/Brian Manzella & Michael Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put in bold that I think "target" is meant instead of "target line"--Brian will have to confirm if that is true or not.

At some point during the downswing the club face sweetspot has to be "flipped" to the ball. Whether it happens at the hand's lowpoint as being the optimum, I don't know. But, I feel it is happening throughout the whole downswing and probably the sooner the better, as that is the dowswing's only purpose. The whole point of this release is that the clubhead should not feel as if it is lagging at any time in the downswing, so I'm not sure how to answer that last paragraph. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable who understands your question can answer.

No, I meant exactly what I wrote. Target line

djd

New
No, I meant exactly what I wrote. Target line

ok, maybe all this will be easier to understand with a simpler frame of reference ... if, from the (right-handed) golfer's perspective there is an imagined clock face on the ground with the ball being roughly at 12 o'clock and with 9 o'clock to the golfer's left (the target side) and with 3 o'clock to the golfer's right (away from the target) and with 6 o'clock to the golfer's backside behind him (away from the target line) how should the hands (and coupling point) move from the start of the downswing all the way to impact? thanks.

ok, maybe all this will be easier to understand with a simpler frame of reference ... if, from the (right-handed) golfer's perspective there is an imagined clock face on the ground with the ball being roughly at 12 o'clock and with 9 o'clock to the golfer's left (the target side) and with 3 o'clock to the golfer's right (away from the target) and with 6 o'clock to the golfer's backside behind him (away from the target line) how should the hands (and coupling point) move from the start of the downswing all the way to impact? thanks.

Definitely later than 3 because the hands hit low point before noon. Remember nothing should go towards the TARGET at start down so anything going at the TARGET LINE is effectively going forward and being pulled towards the target. That is why I said the camera is deceiving. The hands work away, but the hand path initially goes away from both the target line and the target to reach low point earlier and not be dragged.

Last edited:

djd

New
Definitely later than 3 because the hands hit low point before noon. Remember nothing should go towards the TARGET at start down so anything going at the TARGET LINE is effectively going forward and being pulled towards the target. That is why I said the camera is deceiving. The hands work away, but the hand path initially goes away from both the target line and the target to reach low point earlier and not be dragged.

wow, ok ... so if i have this right the hands should move AWAY from BOTH the TARGET and TARGET LINE at the start of the downswing (4 o'clock or so?) and from Brian's video of Sergio the clubhead should be deeper (behind) than the hands from the DTL perspective at least roughly until the shaft is parallel to the ground. Now is this analysis correct for both the Hogan/Sergio and Nicklaus/Toms/Gahm models in their optimized forms and is there a consensus about the OTT from the inside that Dariusz describes? thanks.

and is there a consensus about the OTT from the inside that Dariusz describes?

Although initially confused by the wording of it, Dariusz' OTT from the inside I believe refers to the ideas discussed in the massive tumble thread. I.e. A steeper hand path and laid off club in transition..

So Brian, when are we going to a 'The Release' v1.0 instructional video?

The 3 vids by Michael Jacobs and 1 by Brian aren't good enough for ya? ;)

I'm hitting the ball great utilizing this concept....and my one shank per round and occasional shanks on the range are gonzo (knock on wood).

Last edited:
Okay, but when you wrote: "angle of attack": "De-lofting" would suggest a steeper angle "
I'm not sure why you pose that suggestion if they are seen as independent...explain?

All other measurements being equal and the player "steepens" his AOA, dynamic loft would be lower, wouldn't it?

My point in all of this was to get some explanation for the phenomena reported by Brian:Tour players are de-lofting the club, yet their hand path is up and in after the hands pass the right thigh. How do they do it? Anybody?

Dynamic Loft is the vertical face.

Angle of Attack is the vertical path.

They are really independent.

That's why tour players can de-loft the face (lower Dynamic Loft) while not making the path (AoA) more steep.

wow, ok ... so if i have this right the hands should move AWAY from BOTH the TARGET and TARGET LINE at the start of the downswing (4 o'clock or so?) and from Brian's video of Sergio the clubhead should be deeper (behind) than the hands from the DTL perspective at least roughly until the shaft is parallel to the ground. Now is this analysis correct for both the Hogan/Sergio and Nicklaus/Toms/Gahm models in their optimized forms and is there a consensus about the OTT from the inside that Dariusz describes? thanks.

A lot of what you're asking is subjective. Remember there is no model. However a player lines up/aims and other factors including, but not limited to ball position, trajectory choice have a significant effect. If you know the hand path is working up before impact for optimized AoA, squaring and forward lean the you can fit the "start down" moves to which ever model you prescribe.

natep

New

I'm confused about this. IIRC, there was a guy who posted his swing a while back and he was doing that (dropping hands down and back), and Brian came in the thread and told him it was gonna be big trouble (he was the guy who insisted he wanted to learn TGM hitting, I think) :). Maybe this stuff is brand new and Brian was wrong back then?

EDIT: I found this of Duval, is this what you mean needs to happen?

Last edited:

Jwat

New
I'm confused about this. I'm not seeing any good players who are moving the butt of the club away from the target line at startdown (from dtl). IIRC, there was a guy who posted his swing a while back and he was doing that (dropping hands down and back), and Brian came in the thread and told him it was gonna be big trouble (he was the guy who insisted he wanted to learn TGM hitting, I think) :). Maybe this stuff is brand new and Brian was wrong back then?

How can you say that with all the video of the greats posted by BManz and Mike?

natep

New
How can you say that with all the video of the greats posted by BManz and Mike?

What videos of the greats? I understood it to mean the club moved away from target, not target line. I just edited my post to include a Duval swing where he moves his hands down and back. So is is this what has to happen, a concave/convex hand path (I'm not sure which is which, or maybe its neither?:))? What about the Sergio markup he did, Sergio had a straight line hand path to low point.

Last edited:

natep

New
How can you tell if they are or aren't moving the club away from the DTL view?

Away from the target line, not the target. I can see if the butt of the club gets pulled left at startdown from dtl. Lindsay wrote that the club needs to go away from the target line at startdown (left from a dtl view), thats what I'm confused about.

Status
Not open for further replies.