The Release w/Brian Manzella & Michael Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbl

New
For away from target, find the McIlroy video in this THREAD where camera is from behind the golfer's back looking at the target line. As to any degree of out from targetline, I think that is up to the golfer and his desired swing shape, but Brian did mention a general recommendation.

eta: thread, above

Last edited:

natep

New
For away from target, find the McIlroy video in this where camera is from behind the golfer's back looking at the target line. As to any degree of out from targetline, I think that is up to the golfer and his desired swing shape, but Brian did mention a general recommendation.

Whats the recommendation? I must have missed it. Does it involve the shape of handpath on downswing?

natep

New
Wasn't it said that the only true way to see the hand path was from above the golfer looking down?

I dont know. I thought they said it was the only useful way to view the swing plane (at a 90 degree angle to it), or maybe hand path at impact. Perhaps you are correct. Even so, if the hands move away from the target line at startdown I dont see why it wouldnt be visible from dtl, as in the Duval video.

Last edited:

dbl

New
Whats the recommendation? I must have missed it. Does it involve the shape of handpath on downswing?

See post 317
http://www.brianmanzella.com/golfin...obs-shaft-deflection-video-32.html#post202083

on next page post 322 Brian says "The back view of Rory says it all, does't it?"

As to the "away from target line" aspect as I said, I believe that it is more a personal choice. For fade, for me, I would say no.

ETA: Pokerlife;s original posting of the vid was in post 161
http://www.brianmanzella.com/golfin...obs-shaft-deflection-video-17.html#post201882
and Brian also commented near it.

Last edited:

natep

New
See post 317
http://www.brianmanzella.com/golfin...obs-shaft-deflection-video-32.html#post202083

on next page post 322 Brian says "The back view of Rory says it all, does't it?"

As to the "away from target line" aspect as I said, I believe that it is more a personal choice. For fade, for me, I would say no.

ETA: Pokerlife;s original posting of the vid was in post 161
http://www.brianmanzella.com/golfin...obs-shaft-deflection-video-17.html#post201882
and Brian also commented near it.

OK thanks!

Go to the top of your backswing, make your hands move towards the target line. Do they not move towards the target as well?

Go to the top of your backswing, and make any movement away from the target line. Do they not go away from the target?

Anything moving towards the target line from the top is moving forward, being PULLED closer. When something is pulled towards the target line and target it is less likely to have a low point before impact which is optimal.

natep

New
I'm sorry, I still dont get it. In this face on of Sergio we can see the club being pulled away from the target on the downswing:

Now from this dtl view we can see that he never pulls the butt of the club away from the targetline on the downswing, it moves towards the targetline.

Duval on the other hand does make a move that is slightly moving the butt of the club left, away from the targetline, at the startdown.

So is the point that Duval's move is more optimal?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I still dont get it. In this face on of Sergio we can see the club being pulled away from the target on the downswing:

Now from this dtl view we can see that he never pulls the butt of the club away from the targetline on the downswing.

Duval on the other hand does make a move that is slightly moving the butt of the club left, away from the targetline, at the startdown.

So is the point that Duval's move is more optimal?

I guess one way to look at it is that once the hands move beyond the 9 o clock view from face on in the backswing the begin to move closer to the target on an angle. in order for them to return to a low point before impact they need to get back out there. If you went back low and inside and deep around, certainly requirements would be altered alas Bobby Jones. There certainly are no hard rules as to what each individual swing will require

natep;204057 So is the point that Duval's move is more optimal?[/QUOTE said:
If we are saying it has to be away from the target line then aren't we really saying it has to be a loop resulting in deeper hands?

This doesn't seem right. I think the points of this are:
1. to get a wider downswing arc
2. start the clubhead "catching up".

I don't see why hands parallel or slightly towards the back of the target line would cause a problem. If you are starting your loop towards the target line and back then aren't you just swinging left a little more?

Just a thought: wouldn't the hands appear to be moving more backwards from target line (in DTL view) if there was no pivot? The body rotation is 'carrying' the hands towards the target line isn't it?

Dariusz J.

Duval's move is a derivative of his stance (vide Trevino). All what they both do is exactly the same Brian and Michael say. Stance is crucial with the motion.

Cheers

This thread took me to the library. From Gardner Dickinson's great book, "Let er rip" " One of the worst pieces of advice I've ever heard is to urge golfers to groove a late hit. I've never had it explained to my satisfaction just why hitting the ball with the clubhead quite late in the swing will make the ball go farther or straighter. I know it will make the ball go lower, and maybe start considerably more to the left,but that's about all this harmful piece of advice will accomplish. I won't mention names, but the two players in my memory who hit the latest were absolutely the worst and wildest drivers I ever saw. " "Ben Hogan exhibited rather a late hit with his old swing of the 1940's. A young kid saw a picture of Ben just short of impact with the shaft pointing straight up, and carried it around for years. When he finally met Ben, he whipped out the picture and asked,"Where do you think that went Mr. Hogan?" Ben replied, "I have no idea, but it was''nt very high."

ej20

New
You can try to teach it but whether or not you can do it is another matter.I would say 90% of players don't or can't do it.

That move looks like a reverse carry to me.

If that is handpath away from the ball then it certainly is not imperative or even essential.

natep

New
Here's a Player sequence dtl, couldnt find a video to post. :

player_profil.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.