The Release w/Brian Manzella & Michael Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a shame the valuable stuff in this thread can't be cataloged somehow.

MJ's comment from post #654 "….. the handle drag is a disaster when the golfer goes down and out trying to match their hand low-point to clubhead low-point---the point of the whole Explosive Golf Show and this discussion"

Last edited:
Did you ever get the last twosome in the Owl Creek member guest?

great video...super props for the explanation.

LOL too funny!

And I agree with Kevin's props on the hub video, great visual and explanation. I'm starting to really notice the hand path with my students instead of before looking more broadly at what the club is doing.

[H]ere is an important reason for the proper move of the hands from the top. Now remember that when I say "away" from the target I mean to the golfer's right. Unless you are trying some goofy straight line hand path from the top, you OBVIOUSLY should have your hands and the club move to your right at start down? . . . [T]he rotator cuff---is almost always counter-rotated with too much tug . . . The FEELING is that you start the arms going while the body "hangs out" at the top. BUT THAT IS PROBABLY JUST A FEEL. The actual kinematics are probably much different.

That helps a lot. I have noticed that I fail to square the clubface when I feel a tug to start the downswing. If I don't tug or pivot the body too soon at the start of the downswing, it's easier to get the feeling of letting the arms and clubhead start down early like you wrote about earlier in the thread, which makes it easier to "close the gap." Thanks.

dbl

New
Just wanted to add something from today's practice - that the part about moving the clubhead away from the targetline (from the top) can be very important actually. I was fighting something and having do a late tumble and suddenly had the thought that that might well mean I had reverse tumbled earlier, at least some. No camera available, so I decided I'd just try Brian's prescription and move the hands away from the targetline and BINGO, instantly had proper contact and an easy strike. Within 6 balls I had worked out the path and ball position for straight and draw shots too. Later in the evening I looked in the mirror at what was happening with and without the away from targetline move was, and w/o there was a small but important reverse tumble, like 15 degrees. I had originally thought that move was for help with chosen final path, but it's real job is as the Man said - tumble or reverse tumble. What a crackerjack site this is!

Would love to see that blog......but I think we kinda know already.

I'm not Mr Manzella, but I think we just have to accept the wrist is flat for just a moment in time, and to hold onto it is foolish (except for a few shots in golf)

The flat left wrist happens at some point during the swing, going back (not always) and coming back to the ball (almost always) when this occurs is a testament to the players skill/pivot/release/CP path and also shot selection.

One of the biggest faults in modern golf, is trying to hold onto the flat left wrist thinking it is the holy grail. It isn't.

It's just a WAY of hitting the golf ball. If you hold onto it/use that method you CAN hit absolutely flushed penetrating shots that will feel compressed and amazing.

Watch out with your irons though, as the leading edge can kill ya if your lowpoint isn't amazing.

Oh, and don't try to hit the ball high enough to land on hard greens unless your have tour speed to get the ball up in the air, and even they don't do it this way.

And also watch out for the left of the golf course too hitting down with a clubface rotating left :p

Oh yeah, and hitting down like that, watch out for your spin control as well :rolleyes:

For the majority of golfer than don't want to spend 10,000 hours grooving strength to hold onto the flat left wrist and screwdriver it through the ball with PERFECT low point control then just use the line up the handle release.

Learn to release it freely, sort out your D-Plane for direction and pivot/release for speed and just go and have fun playing golf.

IT'S EASIER THIS WAY

I can also say as someone who plays with certain injuries it's a much easier way to play on the body and I'm just guessing about the instructional material, i've just held a club at chest high and swung it back to halfway and practised lining up the handle and the flick and the freedom to make a swing that is not physically gonna screw me up is very freeing.

I don't know about anyone else but I haven't got the strength or time to groove a screwdriver release or hold onto the flat left wrist through impact. If you have though, go for it if that's the way YOU want to swing it.

There is not "RIGHT" way for everyone. Just the one for YOU

Thanks for your comments Welshy.

But it's not about that for me. I've never tried to have a FLW in my puff! I didn't fall hook line and sinker for the Book, although I've read it about 40 million times. Some of the stuff in the book is just plain strange (eg. FLW is, always was, and always will be a joke!), and some of it is great. Take the good, reject the bad and move on....

The question was aimed at the Bman, cos he's the Man dealing with this stuff in all its complexity. Maybe he can "release" (ho ho ho) a bit more about what he already knows about all the interactions;););)

Just wanted to add something from today's practice - that the part about moving the clubhead away from the targetline (from the top) can be very important actually. I was fighting something and having do a late tumble and suddenly had the thought that that might well mean I had reverse tumbled earlier, at least some. No camera available, so I decided I'd just try Brian's prescription and move the hands away from the targetline and BINGO, instantly had proper contact and an easy strike. Within 6 balls I had worked out the path and ball position for straight and draw shots too. Later in the evening I looked in the mirror at what was happening with and without the away from targetline move was, and w/o there was a small but important reverse tumble, like 15 degrees. I had originally thought that move was for help with chosen final path, but it's real job is as the Man said - tumble or reverse tumble. What a crackerjack site this is!

Had the exact same thing happen to me. Moving the club away from the target line and the target is huge. Lindsey said a few pages ago to move the hands to 4 o'clock. I was hitting pretty good before but away from the target line has refined the club path. Ironically I never would have thought of that because my right elbow tends to get stuck so I would never have dropped my hands behind me. What actually happens is the opposite right elbow clears no problem and seem to exit left more. Awesome guys.... btw Lindsey Newman's posts are pretty good.

Moving the club away from the target line and the target is huge. Lindsey said a few pages ago to move the hands to 4 o'clock.

JEREMY5577 -

I was just wondering (trying it myself on the range) do you move the hands to 3 o'clock and the club head to 4 o'clock. Or do you move both hands and club/club head to 4 o'clock. Do you feel a release (active hands) right away or is more of a right elbow move?

Thx

A few questions:

1. Does tugging the left arm cause (early rotation of the body)/ prevent the proper release or the other way around?

2. When you 'drop your hands to 4 o clock, is that happening prior to counterfall? Are you hanging out on the right foot for an extra second?

Is anyone else trying to intentionally stop their hands before impact then let club close the gap and left wrist bend back on itself?

It could be one way, but I don't think the best way on a full swing.

I'm just having problems pivoting like crazy some days I have it timed well and it works, but some days (like today) I'm way out in front high right shoulder finish and a week slice I have to try to save. I ended up finishing the round just trying to stop my hands and let the club catch up. The ball went straight, but not as far. I know I just have to keep working on the new release, but I thought I had it dialed in then kinda lost it.

It seems to me this first move down from the top in these Lowback model players (Post #968) is a straightening of the right arm without letting the right elbow get shoved out towards the target line. Looking at Player, Love III, Fowler & Garcia, they all have their Humerus bone pointing behind them, almost parallel to their spines, when they get their hands just below waist high in the downswing

Status
Not open for further replies.