The Release w/Brian Manzella & Michael Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to lindsey, dbl and jeremy on the practical application comments above. The thought of moving hands to 4 o'clock, clubhead to 5 o'clock has helped tremendously as I've been playing around with the concepts. I have had my best two rounds of the year in the past week. Hitting the ball straight to a slight draw, my bad shot tendency of a pull seems gone and now feel like I can release club without fear.

I've also been playing around with trying to start "the flick" with hands a little more in front of the ball as I tend to hit the ball a little high.

I wonder if someone couldn't split this thread into the essential videos and theoretical discussion and delete or move to another thread some of the extraneous stuff (like this comment) - lots of very valuable information is getting buried.

Tiger's upward hands release in 2008

You can see below that Tiger still got his hands to move upward just before impact as late as 2008. So maybe Haney screwed this up in 2009 when he implemented big swing preferences of his, supposedly in order to save Tiger's left knee.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dHYWpSpzxuI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can see below that Tiger still got his hands to move upward just before impact as late as 2008. So maybe Haney screwed this up in 2009 when he implemented big swing preferences of his, supposedly in order to save Tiger's left knee.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dHYWpSpzxuI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You ain't never gonna find one where his hands don't go up. You can't hit it otherwise!

dbl

New
Just wanted to add a note about recent instruction seen, and the irony of the truth.

Today on Morning Drive, they showed a small segment in the Golf Fix indoor studio, and Karen Palacios-Jansen's topic was the importance of holding the lag. She had the student (Gary Williams) bring the club down to parallel to the target line and then instructed him to hold the lag and just turn with his body. She said the golfer can hold the lag, or do an early release, showing an exaggerated flip with clubhead way left of the hands Before the ball.

She had Williams get the club to that parallel position and then just start the swing there, turning his body. The launch simulator (screen) showed the ball flight......a push.

Have tried the action of starting the transition by pushing the hands/handle away from me/away from the target at the range over the last week. And I love it. Getting lots of clubhead speed with little conscious effort - although I can feel my body working hard. It is a very easy thing to do too - just swing the hands back smooth and relaxed, and then when they reach transition feel like you gently push them away.

At the moment I am not trying to do anything with the hand couple path on the downswing - that is just going wherever nature sends it. And I'm not doing anything about the release consciously. Nevertheless I have found additional power. And especially with the shorter clubs I have found a very straight pure flight. Hybrid/woods/driver I am finding that I am getting a bit of a push fade, but I think that is nothing to do with the technique but rather my setup and my backswing hand path with the longer shafts.

I'm looking forward to the instruction video.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
even more answers.....

1. Does tugging the left arm cause (early rotation of the body)/ prevent the proper release or the other way around?

It makes it VERY hard.

And, the harder the tug, the HARDER it makes it.

2. When you 'drop your hands to 4 o clock, is that happening prior to counterfall? Are you hanging out on the right foot for an extra second?

I think that when your hands go to the golfer's right, the weight HAS TO stay there more than if you didn't.

It would be very cool to see the measurements....I think I'll look into it.

Is anyone else trying to intentionally stop their hands before impact then let club close the gap and left wrist bend back on itself?

Might make more sense to use the left hand to pull back while the right is pushing forward.

I know I just have to keep working on the new release, but I thought I had it dialed in then kinda lost it.

The 5 Stages of Incorporating a New Move in your Golf Swing

1. Whoa! Can I make contact doing this???

2. I can make contact doing this. I can make contact doing this. Wow, this works good.

3. "To hit the ball well, ALL I have to do it this."

4. "I can't break 100/90/80 doing this move. I need to go back to do what I used to do."

5. If you add this like Tobasco, it helps a lot. Too much of this ruins the Gumbo.

It seems to me this first move down from the top in these Lowback model players (Post #968) is a straightening of the right arm without letting the right elbow get shoved out towards the target line. Looking at Player, Love III, Fowler & Garcia, they all have their Humerus bone pointing behind them, almost parallel to their spines, when they get their hands just below waist high in the downswing

In effect, that IS the low back model signature move.

Yes, Joe.

Yes!

Just wanted to add a note about recent instruction seen, and the irony of the truth.

Today on Morning Drive, they showed a small segment in the Golf Fix indoor studio, and Karen Palacios-Jansen's topic was the importance of holding the lag. She had the student (Gary Williams) bring the club down to parallel to the target line and then instructed him to hold the lag and just turn with his body. She said the golfer can hold the lag, or do an early release, showing an exaggerated flip with clubhead way left of the hands Before the ball.

She had Williams get the club to that parallel position and then just start the swing there, turning his body. The launch simulator (screen) showed the ball flight......a push.

Just like any industry, there are leaders who are out in front, and those who

This has to be the answer as to how the path is accomplished.

Yup.

And, it turns out the jump DIRECTION may be more UP then we thought.

In other words, WHERE the drunk lands. :)

lia41985

The 5 Stages of Incorporating a New Move in your Golf Swing

1. Whoa! Can I make contact doing this???

2. I can make contact doing this. I can make contact doing this. Wow, this works good.

3. "To hit the ball well, ALL I have to do it this."

4. "I can't break 100/90/80 doing this move. I need to go back to do what I used to do."

5. If you add this like Tobasco, it helps a lot. Too much of this ruins the Gumbo.

The day after our lesson I had the worst 18 holes of my life. Went to the range after and instead of adding the changes like salt, added it like Tobasco, and I hit it great. Kept the changes we made to my setup but felt handsy-er in the swing without letting my arms collapse at the top. Not that you told me to get less handsy in my lesson or anything but trying to be conscious of these changes had me dragging the club all over the place. Add the changes like Tobasco and not salt. Another great Manzella-ism.

What a great line; better than my own "too much medicine can make you sick.". I should think of a local phrase more representative of BC culture though...

That wrecking ball video is a great demonstration of this concept, great find joep.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Thought these images would help folks understand "Normal" to the club at impact.

Normal means PERPENDICULAR. In the case of the swing, it means PERPENDICULAR to the SWING ARC.

Here is some pics of Ben Hogan from 1948 & 1955 to some the difference between force perfectly (or nearly perfectly) NORMAL to the clubhead, and force somewhat not NORMAL do to some force across the shaft:

normal-perp.jpg

"Normal Force" is perpendicular to the swing arc. In my opinion, it is obvious that in the Power Golf swing:

hoganPOWER-notperp.jpg

He is not as "Normal" to the clubhead as in the Life Magazine swing:

hoganLIFE-perp.jpg

Thought these images would help folks understand "Normal" to the club at impact.

Normal means PERPENDICULAR. In the case of the swing, it means PERPENDICULAR to the SWING ARC.

Here is some pics of Ben Hogan from 1948 & 1955 to some the difference between force perfectly (or nearly perfectly) NORMAL to the clubhead, and force somewhat not NORMAL do to some force across the shaft:

normal-perp.jpg

"Normal Force" is perpendicular to the swing arc. In my opinion, it is obvious that in the Power Golf swing:

hoganPOWER-notperp.jpg

He is not as "Normal" to the clubhead as in the Life Magazine swing:

hoganLIFE-perp.jpg

How important can "perpendicular to the swing arc" possibly be? Hogan won 13 tournaments in 1946 and 11 tournaments in 1948.

jeffy

Banned
How important can "perpendicular to the swing arc" possibly be? Hogan won 13 tournaments in 1946 and 11 tournaments in 1948.

See Hogan's comments beginning at around 4:50.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ic_84wijVWs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Just like any industry, there are leaders who are out in front, and those who

So true, you guys are way out in front of the field. Seek and you will find. Do anything else and you will find nothing. Watch out, the plagerisers are everywhere. I can't wait to see how they try to present this info as their own, having talked a big pile of sh**e for years.

And, it turns out the jump DIRECTION may be more UP then we thought.

In other words, WHERE the drunk lands. :)

Why did you think it wouldn't be up? It has to be up. That drunk sure ain't goin backwards...

What is normal force?

not "normal force," but rather force "normal."
Meaning there is no force across the shaft at impact.
I believe it has been said most good players are counteracting force across the shaft from the right arm with force across the shaft from the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.