The Release w/Brian Manzella & Michael Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffy

Banned
Have another one coming....

I think you'll get it this time....

You are too kind. Can't wait!

Here is a swing from Sunday; sorry its in 30fps.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D4XRQpuGHOI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My "Power Golf" post-impact:

Screenshot2011-09-27at120556AM.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D4XRQpuGHOI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Excuse me for butting in, but I bet your clubhead is moving faster up around your left shoulder than it is at impact.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/29646505?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

....And I have no idea what other force you are talking about.

You got that one right.

I have no idea who jeffy is, but I surmise he is a customer (probably a good one $$$) of Brians, probably a pretty successful guy in business, probably a pretty intelligent guy and a guy who is used to being right all the time in his business dealings. Hence his apparent audacity in challenging folks who have been there, done it, got the T-shirt and washed it 45 times.;)

jeffy, no offence intended, but I think you missed the boat that others have been sailing on for the last year (or more, as the whole thing has evolved slowly) and someone has just flown you on to it. Your ideas are just way out of date, bro. And your golf swing shows it. Take a few more lessons with Bmanz, then come back and sing his praises.

Doubting Thomas's

The release thread.. its Epic.. I can't wait for it to come out in paperback, I am on about my second or third complete review of its 100+ pages. After all this reading I am still not sure if I completely love or hate the doubting Thomas's out there for their blatant disrespect for Mike, Brian, Kevin and all the others who have helped research and communicate this extremely valuable info. If it weren't for the folks out there with the extra thick skulls and lack of filter on their gourds, we certainly would not have all this bonus material to help solidify this concept in our own little pea brains. If it were me, by now I would be screaming bloody murder into the camera at these guys, but instead we get a more refined message from the boys with each post. I suppose all the years of time on the lesson tee has helped you guys develop a little more patience than I have at this point in my career. I certainly have a better understanding of the release than I ever have had before and my contact is better than it has been .. well ever.. but my unanswered questions are in the area of trajectory control, how do I control the release when there is a breeze in my face and I am not looking to hit towering flushed irons, do I simply try to line it up later or line it up less and drag more? I look forward to the next 100 pages, and I thank you guys and your little orange friend for blowing up the theory that there is nothing new in golf instruction.
Chris Curley
Golf Professional and former handle dragger-

Long-time background lurker/learner...first post!
From Joe Norwood's Golf-O-Metrics (1978)p 118 "Golfers, are you ready for this? At the top of the golf swing the very first move of the downswing is backward - yes, backward and away from the ball. This is a mind boggling statement, since the eye and the mind are focused on the ball out in front. The ball is a magnet. The anxiety level to hit is always high. The need for discipline is great at this point of the swing. The desire is to hit the ball, and yet the first requisite is to make a backward move. Once that tiny backward move is made, it is all downhill. You are home free." There's more, including an anecdote about Vardon placing a stake at a 45 degree angle behind him and working for hours trying to hit that stake with the clubhead on the downswing.

jeffy

Banned
Jeffy - what is your (honest) club head speed with that swing and a driver?

Laet time I measured it the range was a low of 96 and a high of 103. You can see the SwingSpeed Radar in the video below:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EfHOJ5YBWqs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last time I worked with Brian it was 95 (and Brian and Mike's were in the 101 to 104 range, if I remember correctly; Bolt was 95). Ten years ago mine was in the high 80s.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Long-time background lurker/learner...first post!
From Joe Norwood's Golf-O-Metrics (1978)p 118 "Golfers, are you ready for this? At the top of the golf swing the very first move of the downswing is backward ...

Yes....

Dave Williams, Joe Norwood, Mike Austin, Jim Flick....etc

Credit where credit is due.

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
I haven't gone through the whole thread but nothing I saw in your videos was particularly newsworthy to me.

The whole point of my Explosive Golf Show was in the picture below. Your hands are on the left and Rory is on the right. You say nothing was 'newsworthy to you?'

jy.jpg

Last edited:

jeffy

Banned
The whole point of my Explosive Golf Show was in the picture below. Your hands are on the left and Rory is on the right. You say nothing was 'newsworthy to you?'

jy.jpg

Sorry, Mike, that image isn't showing up on my computer, so I can't respond to that. But if I look crappy next to Rory, am I surprised? Not at all. I suck. You know that!

I just watched Brian's second video and it confirms my initial impressions. You have re-discovered what Ballard explained in "How to Perfect Your Golfswing" when he whacked the backrest of the golf cart with his right side. That had to be 30 years ago. My friend David Glenz and his sidekick Bryan Jones have been teaching similar concepts since I first saw David in 1994 or '95. Some of the concepts Hardy uses.

I guess if you lived in a TGM-oriented bubble this would seem eye-opening, and it should be. As I said, I never had any success getting forward shaft lean following the aiming point approach.

As far as my approach to it, I think Brian is a little guilty of projection. I do not do the litany of things he says not to do (from another thread):

"DON'T TRY TO DRAG THE LEFT ARM FROM THR TOP, DON"T TRY TO DRAG THE HANDS FROM THE TOP, DON'T TRY TO PUT 'lag pressure" ON THE BACK OF THE SHAFT THE WHOLE DOWNSWING."

I've tried all that and it doesn't work. Not trying to do any of that.

I have been reading on occasion and not sure if I understand everything. I would like to point out something for everyone's consideration.

So we have jeffy on the left and pro on the right. The aqua line indicates that the second dot is lower than the first with jeffy and with the pro, the second dot is higher, consistent with the standpoint that better players go up and in. All good there.

But I don't find the 2 pics as precisely comparable as I would like to see, if the location of the dots in relation to the horizontal makes or breaks the point.

Looking closely, you will see that with Jeffy: the first yellow dot is located on the left side of the right thigh and the second dot is on the inside edge of the left thigh.

With pro: first dot on the mid of the right thigh and the second dot on the mid of the left thigh.

Further, it looks to me the stance distance between the feet is wider for jeffy than for the pro (although this assertion of mine is highly debatable).

Taking all together, with consideration of timing and thus location, I don't find the pics as dotted and lined to be good comparisons. The two players should be "matched" better. Otherwise, if jeffy desires to be argumentative, he can argue that some milliseconds later in his video, he would match the yellow dots like the pro:)

Last edited:

footwedge

I have been reading on occasion and not sure if I understand everything. I would like to point out something for everyone's consideration.

So we have jeffy on the left and pro on the right. The aqua line indicates that the second dot is lower than the first with jeffy and with the pro, the second dot is higher, consistent with the standpoint that better players go up and in. All good there.

But I don't find the 2 pics as precisely comparable as I would like to see, if the location of the dots in relation to the horizontal makes or breaks the point.

Looking closely, you will see that with Jeffy: the first yellow dot is located on the left side of the right thigh and the second dot is on the inside edge of the left thigh.

With pro: first dot on the mid of the right thigh and the second dot on the mid of the left thigh.

Further, it looks to me the stance distance between the feet is wider for jeffy than for the pro (although this assertion of mine is highly debatable).

Taking all together, with consideration of timing and thus location, I don't find the pics as dotted and lined to be good comparisons. The two players should be "matched" better. A solid message could be lost in the sloppy representation.

Your right they should match better that's the point of the whole thing. The dots on Jeffy are right on the money I measured them and they are accurate, you don't even need to compare them to anyone if you know the cpr is travelling up and in. It's just for reference to show the difference from optimal to not quite optimal. No offense Jeffy.

jeffy

Banned
Otherwise, if jeffy desires to be argumentative, he can argue that some milliseconds later in his video, he would match the yellow dots like the pro:)

I already know my swing sucks. I have no issue with this anaysis. I just disagree with Brian's projection that it is because I'm doing his long list of "don'ts". I'm not.

footwedge

Originally Posted by golfdad
Otherwise, if jeffy desires to be argumentative, he can argue that some milliseconds later in his video, he would match the yellow dots like the pro

But it would be past line up then.

Status
Not open for further replies.