The Release w/Brian Manzella & Michael Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
bgoodyear,
Can you explain closing the gap with the jump a little? Somedays I can feel it working, but lately I've lost it and just thin it when I try. As far as the 4 o'clock thing I just seem to hit it better when I push back between 3 and 4. If I try to put the club head anywhere intentionally behind me, same thing get way underplane.

What are some of the ways to get hands lower as they past the right thigh?

This is one of the things that I'm really confused about. From a DTL view, Rory's downswing handpath is hugely more vertical than, say, Tom Watson's. To me, this implies that Rory's hands are much lower than Watson's as they approach impact. Does this mean that Rory raises his hands through the ball much more dramatically than Watson does?

bgoodyear,
Can you explain closing the gap with the jump a little? Somedays I can feel it working, but lately I've lost it and just thin it when I try. As far as the 4 o'clock thing I just seem to hit it better when I push back between 3 and 4. If I try to put the club head anywhere intentionally behind me, same thing get way underplane.

I'll try. At the top of the backswing, the wrists set. This is the point where I would previously try to conserve the angle/lag. Now the setting reverses itself right away as I set the clubhead in motion back where it came from. No tugging, no pushing of the hands anywhere (my feel, maybe not reality), just a reversal of the wrist set starting a gentle throwing of the clubhead. The gap starts to close and the clubhead coasts for a while as I get shifted left. The jump, for me, is good timing of the left side rising. It's as if this motion catches the closing clubhead and adds even more speed to it right before it squares, impacts, and continues past the hands. Wish I had better words for this.

I don't know if I'm doing it "right" or not since I've not been videod. But it sure is easier.

Regarding the clock... doesn't this depend on the amount of shoulder turn? My shoulder turn is often under 90 degrees, should I be pushing my hands to the same place as someone who turns 110? 4 o'clock to me is more behind. Maybe there is an optimal ratio depending on the amount of shoulder turn and the path you want through the ball.

ej20

New
This is one of the things that I'm really confused about. From a DTL view, Rory's downswing handpath is hugely more vertical than, say, Tom Watson's. To me, this implies that Rory's hands are much lower than Watson's as they approach impact. Does this mean that Rory raises his hands through the ball much more dramatically than Watson does?

Me too.

Although I agree that most pros do have "lowish" hands as they pass the right thigh and then lift slightly into impact,I would like to know how significant it is if you don't do this.Is it really bad and indictive of handle dragging or nothing to worry about if you are hitting it good?

Brian, no worries that you have given away too much info that your book/DVD on this will not sell, or that folks will not need a lesson to get it. Reading many of the comments it is clear that most folks don't really get it.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Me too.

Although I agree that most pros do have "lowish" hands as they pass the right thigh and then lift slightly into impact,I would like to know how significant it is if you don't do this.Is it really bad and indictive of handle dragging or nothing to worry about if you are hitting it good?

You can hit it well doing anything really, but with what you mentioned you'll have trouble controlling ur angle as well as distance control/spin and a club going to the right or down the line too much which presents its obvious problems

Brian, no worries that you have given away too much info that your book/DVD on this will not sell, or that folks will not need a lesson to get it. Reading many of the comments it is clear that most folks don't really get it.

wulsy,
Everyone on this thread is going to buy Brian's videos including you. Just when I think you are not going to be a negative jerk you chime in with something like the people on this thread don't get it. Dude that's the whole point! We are trying to talk it out! If we are off track tell us why. Kevin had just said probably not a good idea to focus on that and maybe that would have been the end of it. Now I get to go to the range today tell myself I don't really get something I've been working on for a month I'm sure I'll hit em great! Thanks your awesome!

If the the force is normal/perpendicular (a feel of pull on your hands), you would think you could oppose this force with a up move. If this is back extension or just using an up on the toes/balls of the feet move (like MJ first video) i don't know. Maybe, this up move is more of a natural move to oppose the pull force.

Maintain your spine angle?

wulsy,
Everyone on this thread is going to buy Brian's videos including you. Just when I think you are not going to be a negative jerk you chime in with something like the people on this thread don't get it. Dude that's the whole point! We are trying to talk it out! If we are off track tell us why. Kevin had just said probably not a good idea to focus on that and maybe that would have been the end of it. Now I get to go to the range today tell myself I don't really get something I've been working on for a month I'm sure I'll hit em great! Thanks your awesome!

Sorry JEREMY. I guess I'm just a bad man. Maybe you should scold Kevin too, after all he agreed with me.

Fortunately I get it (pretty much). Therefore I can see the guys who don't get it, because they ask questions and make comments which show this. But you're right, this is the whole point of discussion. As a general rule, everyone benefits from a hearty discussion, not fron a sychphantic one.

I just helped you to realise theres more to it than you previously thought and with that I provoke you to further learning. Man I'm awsome;)

Sorry JEREMY. I guess I'm just a bad man. Maybe you should scold Kevin too, after all he agreed with me.

Fortunately I get it (pretty much). Therefore I can see the guys who don't get it, because they ask questions and make comments which show this. But you're right, this is the whole point of discussion. As a general rule, everyone benefits from a hearty discussion, not fron a sychphantic one.

I just helped you to realise theres more to it than you previously thought and with that I provoke you to further learning. Man I'm awsome;)

I over reacted sorry. I just feel like an idiot for even typing anything

Jeremy, no problem at all. You're in the right place to learn how to make it work, and I'm sure you will.

I've been at it for a LONG time, and I've been trying to puzzle it out for ever. I'm 120 years old in golf years;) So when I get a nice little push in the right direction from a Bmanz comment or idea, I'm in a position to suss it out pretty quickly and intergrate it into my "masterplan".

BTW, ther is NO SUBSTITUTE for lessons (with the Bman of course, or Kevin or Jim) and this together with trial and error on the range will get you to were you want to be. JMHO

Brian Manzella

Administrator
This is what all the talk is ALL about, folks.

Chew on this:

supernormal.jpg

footwedge

Overhead camera shot would be awesome to see the inward. If you left his hands there but turned his left hip back to address I bet the hip would block his handpath. I'm thinking more and more handpath is critical, I think the hip and shoulder's respond to the hand/cp path.

Footwedge...is that the same as saying that:

1) the pivot controls the hand/cp path?
2) golfers with small/minimal pivot will likely have their hands moving across/out rather than up and in?

Status
Not open for further replies.