TIGER

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp29

New
Tiger's takeaway was a lot different under Butch and the shaft on the downswing came down a lot steeper. The junk in Haney's swing is with the longer clubs, even as strong as Tiger was and dipping as much as he was couldn't get the driver back on the shaft plane at impact. What's the point in trying to swing it on the shaft plane or parallel to the shaft plane if you're never going to be on it at impact? Impact is all that matters.

The camera is higher in the Butch swing, making the shaft look higher above the blue line than the Haney swing. The takeaways look the same to me. The dip is in all Tiger patterns and is a good thing IMO. So what if he doesn't quite get back to the address plane at impact. The impact in the Haney swing was all that mattered while he dominated the tour all those yrs using it. As the country song goes, "If that's wrong, I don't wanna be right."

The camera is higher in the Butch swing, making the shaft look higher above the blue line than the Haney swing. The takeaways look the same to me. The dip is in all Tiger patterns and is a good thing IMO. So what if he doesn't quite get back to the address plane at impact. The impact in the Haney swing was all that mattered while he dominated the tour all those yrs using it. As the country song goes, "If that's wrong, I don't wanna be right."

Because Tiger was trying to swing it on or parallel to the shaft plane and at impact his hands were higher than the shaft plane then he was UNDER plane. Hence why he could hit it way right or left with the driver. You can swing it on or parallel to the shaft plane with wedges with the longer clubs it's almost impossible to get a driver back to the shaft plane without a big compensation.

any instructor in golf can be taken apart to appear as if they are crap. no one has the golf swing all figured out.

at the end of the day haney's swing overall helped tiger- it's fact.

no one should never just do whatever an instructor wants you to do that would be crazy.

tiger's approach is to get the idea of what the guy overall wants him to do and he goes away and tries to accomplish that but doing it in a way that feels is right for him. which is exactly what i would do.

criticizing butch and hank and foley .....

read this thread from the beginning and read brian's comments and forget that this is his website and honestly ask yourself if you would one: hire this guy and two if you did would you just blindly do whatever he wanted?

i think if he is honest about it and had it to do over he wouldn't have posted some of his comments.

stuff like haney and foley's swings were not good for tiger and later posting how he doesn't know what he would teach tiger.

i believe he knows what he would teach tiger but is afraid to say because it could be wrong.

if you want to criticize butch or hank or sean fine put your cards on the table and say exactly what you would do to fix tiger's swing -keep in mind he is guarding against putting too much pressure on that knee.

we all know ray j wouldn't even get a meeting with tiger but don't tell him that.

All that Tiger needs, IMHO, is to get back to shifting weight to the inside of his right foot and leg (which I seem to see now with Como, but not sure), adjust his grip more towards how John Schlee does or teaches it, which gets him back to hitting the ball shallower so he doesn't have to slow down thru impact. He can even use his hips again without worrying about that back. All of these he did with Butch by the way.

mp29

New
All that Tiger needs, IMHO, is to get back to shifting weight to the inside of his right foot and leg (which I seem to see now with Como, but not sure), adjust his grip more towards how John Schlee does or teaches it, which gets him back to hitting the ball shallower so he doesn't have to slow down thru impact. He can even use his hips again without worrying about that back. All of these he did with Butch by the way.

Is the Schlee grip more in the left hand fingers, like Mac O'Grady?

Just out of curiosity Brian, has Chris Como ever posted on this site? I thought he may have given your personal relationship with him and he seems like he enjoys debate.

Is the Schlee grip more in the left hand fingers, like Mac O'Grady?
Palm-side edge of the knuckle bones. Schlee defines it as still fingers, but common notion is its palm already.

To be exact, the edge or ridge created when you fold your palm.

Harmon, Haney, Woods, and probably Foley and Como, have likely never strayed from good fundamentals, since they have all been heavily influenced, directly or indirectly, by Claude Harmon and John Jacobs, who in turn had their good influences as well.

Maybe Tiger's swing is just affected by fatherhood and family time. Maybe now he's starting to normalize. The "rest" could be a blessing in disguise...maybe what he needs, recuperating mentally or otherwise...

Anyone has a clip of his most recent low number?

ZAP

New
You know usually I don't look forward to Mondays even though I am a teacher and I'm off in the summer.
Looking forward to the insights and see if they match some of my thoughts.

spider

New
Glad I am not holding my breath still... ha

Hope to hear about Brian's thoughts. Bummed... thought the site would have more interaction from Brian and his crew. Seems like closed FB groups are the it thing for instructors now. I get that Brian and instructors are busy just wishful thinking on my part.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Traveling today and will do a write up on what I saw in West Virginia.

Unfortunately, I have filmed a dozen or so video commentaries on this subject since I returned from the Greenbrier and none of them were able to pass the muster of what it needs to be.

So....write up coming....

So....write up coming....

really don't understand why it's taking so long to write about what you saw. i mean if nbc sports or tiger said what did you see over those three days? what would you say?...." i'll get back to you in a week"

but what do i know... i'm just some jackass in front of a monitor and keyboard.

Last edited:
Just a wild guess but I'm thinking Brian is probably busy since it's summer and people tend to golf and take lessons this time of year and I'm sure he has other responsibilities that take up his time.

Status
Not open for further replies.