TIGER

Status
Not open for further replies.
really don't understand why it's taking so long to write about what you saw. i mean if nbc sports or tiger said what did you see over those three days? what would you say?...." i'll get back to you in a week"

but what do i know... i'm just some jackass in front of a monitor and keyboard.

Is my sarcasm meter a bit off or are you this pleasant all the time?

Can't you do a written version? Given the choice I much prefer reading.

ROFL... Brian said video then said write up was coming then he seems to have gone back to video....ROFL

the British Open is around the corner no doubt you will hear how his swing looks from others. you can also judge yourself by his performance in the British.

personally i think Brian is getting cold feet at releasing it maybe wants to see how he plays at the British first.

ZAP

New
This is just my opinion and probably is not really worth two cents but in the few years I have known Brian he doesn't really get cold feet. Brian usually feels pretty strongly about the things he thinks/knows are true. (the previous statement may be an understatement) My feeling is that Brian is quite busy during this time and if we are a little patient he will post his thoughts. I have never known Brian to shy away from expressing his opinion on a topic and the best predictor of future behavior is......past behavior.

ROFL... Brian said video then said write up was coming then he seems to have gone back to video....ROFL

the British Open is around the corner no doubt you will hear how his swing looks from others. you can also judge yourself by his performance in the British.

personally i think Brian is getting cold feet at releasing it maybe wants to see how he plays at the British first.
Have you commented on Tiger's swing?

Well that was interesting. Thanks for posting. I've always thought Tiger's swing looks much better on the range. And if Tiger's head drop is due to lowering into the ground so he can use this force by springing upward around impact why does his head stay so low PAST impact? Shouldn't he be springing up by the time he hits the ball so that he gets the benefit of the spring? Sure seems like a lot of up-and-down motion for little or no gain.

A ny video of Tiger at Greenbrier on face-on view?

Here's a DTL view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=aO3-fqitzkw

Well that was interesting. Thanks for posting. I've always thought Tiger's swing looks much better on the range. And if Tiger's head drop is due to lowering into the ground so he can use this force by springing upward around impact why does his head stay so low PAST impact? Shouldn't he be springing up by the time he hits the ball so that he gets the benefit of the spring? Sure seems like a lot of up-and-down motion for little or no gain.

I think head lowering is an excellent indication of goid swing mechanics in downswing. It absolutely means Tiger is extending/bowing out his left side (bending in his right side) and, therefore, moving his hips laterally. Head lowering simply can be "compensated" or corrected by getting the left shoulder higher at/thru impact to adjust the radius (distance from left shoulder to clubhead), which is what Brian talks about in the pull back, run up and jump video.

During Foley days, Tiger just couldn't do this because he's trying to get the weight/pressure on his left foot, which at the same time could hurt the lower back. Trust me I know (re hurting lower back :).

Brian Manzella

Administrator
It's been a busy summer, but a very productive one. I just returned from Pennsylvania, where I gave a 2-day golf school. Prior to that, I taught around the clock for two days in New Orleans. Those two days were preceded by my trip to the Greenbrier, in White Sulfur Springs West Virginia.

I was in West Virginia to work with my great pal Kevin Shields at the PGA Tour’s Greenbrier Classic. He has qualified for the event three straight years as the Tri-State PGA Section Player of the Year Award winner. I helped him at this event two years ago and he did not play last year, as it was too near the National National Club Pro event.

Along with me was my great friend and teaching compadre, Rick Dandy. Rick and I made the trek from Reagan Airport not far from Rick’s home in Maryland.

Kevin didn’t come into the event on any particular form ball-striking wise, but had had some good finishes in events this year.

With Rick’s help, we made some adjustments in Kevin’s swing that had him hitting it much better by the end of Monday. Really good on Tuesday and borderline great on Wednesday.

When you go to an event on the PGA Tour to help a player that you work with, it is a big myth that you can’t make a change at the event. That’s exactly what happened at the 2012 US Open with David Toms, where he almost won. I altered the path of his left shoulder on the downswing on Monday and it clicked pretty much right away. Some small tweaks and a practice round or two to monitor the progress and then he had the 36-hole lead and was close to the end with a 4th place finish.

It is a big jump from Section events to the PGA Tour. Mainly, the scope of the event, the size of the courses, and the depth of talent in the field.

Kevin remarked on Wednesday how good we could get it if we could do this every week in a bunch of events. It is very obvious that having your teacher at a PGA Tour event is a huge plus. Otherwise, you wouldn’t see all the guys at most events.

The other neat part of the week was hanging with our pal Chris Como. We had dinner with him on Tuesday and some ice cream with him on Wednesday. Our visits were a welcome change of pace for the world’s most scrutinized instructor.

Kevin had a 10:12 tee time on Wednesday on a different course at the Greenbrier than the tournament course as he wasn’t in the Pro-Am. Kevin, his pal and caddy for the week Chad, and Rick & I got up early to watch Tiger play in the pro-am.

We saw 6 holes, about as up close as you can get.

Tiger is swinging a lot better and to be honest, I saw only two little things that might cause an issue, playing wise.

Too much force and not enough torque down at the bottom of the swing and a tad too steep of shoulder turn on some longer club shots.

The reports from a player who recently played with him before he left for the Open Championship said that he is still aiming further left on the course with the driver than he does on the range.

Makes sense with all the extra force along the hand path late.

Since he is playing a course in St. Andrews that you can aim left and just make sure it doesn’t double cross, I look for a good week in the Open.

Is Tiger “back?

Not quite, but it is a LOT better.

Nobody talks about how well Tiger and Chris get along, but even I was surprised at how well they do. That’s a way bigger factor than the pundits think.

well looks like i maybe the first one to comment of your post.... first let me say thanks for posting it. i have to believe that this is a condensed version of what you had intended to post because i can't see how this could have taken this long. tip for the future: better to say i saw tiger's swing up close and i'll try to post something about it in the not to distant future and leave it at that. that way you can't get people like me posting stuff like... well you know.

again thanks for the post.

The write up was condensed a lot for sure.

You just can't say what you want to say anywhere, anymore.

That's a stone cold fact!

Hope you enjoyed your visit. White Sulphur/Lewisburg is a great area. Been several years since I've played any of the 'brier courses and never have played the "new" Old White. But played it a bunch prior as well as the Greenbrier and Lakeside(I refuse to call it the Meadows). Lot of great memories from that place.

Last edited:

Too much force and not enough torque down at the bottom of the swing and a tad too steep of shoulder turn on some longer club shots.

The reports from a player who recently played with him before he left for the Open Championship said that he is still aiming further left on the course with the driver than he does on the range.

Makes sense with all the extra force along the hand path late.

Radius (distance from left shoulder to sweet spot when the left wrist uncocks thru impact) too long for the ball. Tiger should shorten it. I see Tiger is just faking a big accum #3; need to adjust grip, not just lower the hands and move it closer, me thinks. Just what this hack sees.

When the Greenbrier was on, Claud Harmon was doing analysis for Sky TV. He said he had dinner with Chris Como and, when asked, said they didn't talk about Tiger. Mmmmmmm......Everyone around Tiger must be on NDAs which must make it difficult for Chris Como to talk with his friends/peers. You can understand it though, why would Tiger want what he was working on out in the public domain for his competitors to hear? What tour pro is going to tell you what they are doing as opposed to tosh like "when I want to really launch a driver, I'll move the ball forward blah blah".

Brian Manzella

Administrator
"Baseline" — Morad talk for plane line or swing direction or horizontal swing plane. He learned that from Foley. Along with the steeper shoulders and "flying wedges".......

mp29

New

You can lower your cg on the DS and get additional power, without jumping out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.