When does the flat left wrist stop being flat? (with Manzella Video Answer & BLOG)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My name is Brian Manzella, and I am a former flipper.

No not like the dolphin, or the guys wearing aqua, orange, and white on Sundays.

I bent my left wrist past impact.

But not before.

So was I a flipper?

Yes, becuase I just haphazardly threw the clubhead to be inline with my right arm (what I was trying to do) without knowing what my impact alignments should have been.

But wow, did I hit it good doing that sometimes.

I learned through tens of thousands of little shots, and drills that Ben Doyle gave me to do, and I developed myself, to have the "Flattest Left Wrist" in golf.

But there were flippers who could give me 3 a side.

They had better TrackMan numbers, and TrackMan hadn't been invented yet.

So, how do I, and many other golfers, keep our left wrists flat well past impact, when PingMan5 and most all Math Models have the "left wrist" bending post impact?

Negative Left Wrist Torque.

Period.

Trying to do it has hurt as many good players as trying not to.

It will all be on the next "Confessions of a Former Flipper."

I have always had a flat left wrist in my golf swing since I picked up a club and put it on video. It's just never wavered. I think my secret is in the way I roll my arms. If you look at my down the line view as the clubhead is "exiting" post impact, the back of my clubhead is facing the camera. If you can get there, you'll NEVER cup your left wrist at impact.

Golf Machine folks instruct you to take your grip at impact fix. If you then move to adjusted address like most folks your wrist is cupped. On the takeaway you assemble your flying wedges and create an impact condition of the wrist. Then you swing with your wedges intact into impact. What breaks down after impact certainly can be discussed. It seems to me to be a simple workable system. Hands wobbling all over the place make no sense to me. If the swing energy breaks down the wrist after the ball is gone it might not be a cardinal sin. Clampett said Ben never taught him anything that was wrong. I guess Brian feels differently

Dariusz J.

Impact fix is one of silliest ideas out there. It would make some sense if all parts of the body (in saggital plane) of address position mirror impact position. We know that it does not. Besides there are problems requiring compensations - like problems with addressing shoulders, increased impact of eyedness, enhancing lead side to push at the backswing, etc.
Good some obvious TGM bullshit is being revisited. That's why I am here more often.

Cheers

Impact fix is one of silliest ideas out there. It would make some sense if all parts of the body (in saggital plane) of address position mirror impact position. We know that it does not. Besides there are problems requiring compensations - like problems with addressing shoulders, increased impact of eyedness, enhancing lead side to push at the backswing, etc.
Good some obvious TGM bullshit is being revisited. That's why I am here more often.

Cheers

What do you mean by "increase impact of eyedness?" and "enhancing lead side to push at the backswing?" Is this from the research paper written by Visine and Dones?

Dariusz J.

I said increased impact of eyedness - it means that in case of parallel dominance impact fix may cause big problems when performing a stance.
I am not familiar with Visine and Dones researches. Could you provide a more info about it ?

Cheers

fix

I guess most of my arthritic parts mirror impact at fix so I am lost at your response. As for eyedness as Ben Says "mind in the hands eyes on the inside quadrant of the ball, Oh. I guess that is silly too. If you are a D plane person just where do you put you eyes?. I feel I have used TGM system successfully and I haven't seen another system that appeals to me and I have tried a number of them.

Dariusz J.

I guess most of my arthritic parts mirror impact at fix so I am lost at your response. As for eyedness as Ben Says "mind in the hands eyes on the inside quadrant of the ball, Oh. I guess that is silly too. If you are a D plane person just where do you put you eyes?. I feel I have used TGM system successfully and I haven't seen another system that appeals to me and I have tried a number of them.

English is not my native language, thus, forgive me if I am not understandable sometimes. Please ask what should I try to explain once again. Thanks.
As regards "mind" or "eyes" in hands - I am sorry to say I am against such rubbish. Hands neither have brain nor eyes nor sensors to perform such a role. It is the same bullshit as muscle memory.
And I am not a D-Plane person - whatever you wanted to say (or maybe even offend me ?) - for me, D-Plane is just a tool, nothing more. A tool. Trackman is a tool, too. But you believe that Kelley's book is a tool which is absurd. No book has a patent for being errorless. Get out of this cage before it is too late.

Cheers

ej20

New
I don't think this forum has a problem with the yellow book.It is just that a lot of concepts in there are based on incorrectly apllied science.

It is a book with hundreds of ideas and concepts....one man's life time of swing thoughts if you will.

I can write a book containing all the swing thoughts and concepts that I believe in and I am sure every single reader would be able find one or two that turns on a few light bulbs and proclaim me a genius.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
My Take - video answer

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/16785358?portrait=0" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Negative Left Wrist Torque nicely explained, thanks Brian. As one would expect intuitively, this leads to a negative acceleration of the angular velocity of the club. Why do it then? Because a bent and bending left wrist at impact (assuming a neutral grip) would reduce the mass of the clubhead (law of conservation of angular momentum) and therefore the force into the ball (F = ma).

I think if you are a talented player you can allow yourself to bend at the right time in order to maximise force into the ball without comprimising either angle of a attack (horizonal and vertical). Less talented players should try to avoid the bent left wrist because it will tend to come too early if they don't try to avoid it completely. This is, to my understanding, also what Brian says in the video and what I see on the lesson tee every day.

BTW, HK compiled his ideas a long time before one had access to the vast sources of information which we have today and therefore some of this ideas may well be slightly flawed. His ideas however form the basis for our discussion here and for that we should be grateful.

Vintage Brian Video

wow that was good

and the biggest compliment i can give you is this:..........I UNDERSTOOD IT

btw.........cajun boy with a NEW YORK UNIVERSITY SHIRT..yes sirrrrrrrrrrrr

GREAT STUFF BRIAN.......GREAT STUFF

Because a bent and bending left wrist at impact (assuming a neutral grip) would reduce the mass of the clubhead (law of conservation of angular momentum) and therefore the force into the ball (F = ma).

False.

Sorry bro, but that's been covered ad nauseum around here. You can't resist deceleration at impact.

You can try tho :).

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I should add this...

One day, all hooked up to a 12 sensor 6°3D machine, with TrackMan running, I did a little test.

6-iron, normal swing ~86mph

6-iron, bending left wrist massively through the ball but dynamic loft the same ~86mph

6-iron, adding arch from impact to the finish, but dynamic loft the same ~86mph

The negative torque is simply a THROUGH THE BALL "extra" that some have learned.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Sorry, but I have to disagree on that one. If the left wrist is in a cupped (bent) position and is moved to flat then the clubface will become more closed and will be delofted.

Cupping/bending opens and increases loft whereas arching closes and delofts, regardless of where in the swing you do it.

Brian, what do you mean by Negative Left Wrist Torque? That you forceably rotate the left arm/wrist through impact in order to stop the wrist bending and that the bending is a torque induced reaction?

Im sorry man but its a fact. Hold the club in front of you toe up. Now bend your left wrist, it adds loft and closes the face. Period. Do the opposite and it delofts it and opens it.

Im sorry man but its a fact. Hold the club in front of you toe up. Now bend your left wrist, it adds loft and closes the face. Period. Do the opposite and it delofts it and opens it.

Definitive. Not up for conjecture. Even if you hit shots and make those motions you see that result. Cupping adds loft/closes
and bending and bowing the opposite.

Gonna have to agree with Kevin on this one.. why do people that have wide open faces on the downswing flip it? In order to try to square the face.

Dariusz J.

Gonna have to agree with Kevin on this one.. why do people that have wide open faces on the downswing flip it? In order to try to square the face.

While I do agree to the above sentence fully, I would like also to add that people flip primarily because:
a. their subconscious mind tells them to flip so that the ball could go airborne - the so-called lack of loft angle awareness;
b. their subconscious mind tells them to flip to increase power - because the angular velocity of the clubhead increases.

Cheers

False.

Sorry bro, but that's been covered ad nauseum around here. You can't resist deceleration at impact.

You can try tho :).

I don't think you understood what I said. Clearly there is deceleration at impact. Everybody knows that, right? The question is: deceleration of what, when, by how much and for what reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.